Pregnancy: March 2009 Babies Community
tummy time?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies born in March 09.

tummy time?

So we are told from day one to start logging tummy time in - 15 mins at least twice a day - but I seriously tick off Hayden whenever I put her on belly - are you supposed to do this when the kiddie starts crying and getting frustrated? I feel like I do it for 2 mins before she cries and then I get her back on back.

Anyone else doing tummy time successfully? tips? tricks?
  • tummy time (5 replies):
    When do you start tummy time? I've read that because ba...[more]
  • Tummy time? (2 replies):
    What is tummy time? People keep mentioning it, but I ha...[more]
  • Tummy Time (5 replies):
    When did u start it and how did u go about it? Did u pic...[more]
  • Anti-tummy time (10 replies):
    My girl turns four months tomorrow and even though I've ...[more]
  • no tummy time? (5 replies):
    I am not sure if any of you remember me from the pregnan...[more]
I was told to do it whenever the baby is awake for as long as the baby is not fussy.  It is not supposed to be a negative experience, so as soon as the baby is fussy, pick him/her up.  Also, time on your belly...belly to belly...counts as tummy time.
Well I never did tummy time with my first son and it took him much longer to develop the strength to lift his head, sit, crawl etc. He also developed a flat head for a while!  So I have vowed to do it with my new baby... even though he hates it!
Try tummy to tummy or talking to her while she is on her tummy- make it a game. When your little one gets older, like 3 months, get a boppy. Those really help develop strong core muscles, and babies hate them at first, but once they have the strength they love them.
I think toes is right.... tummy time is good as long as there not fussy.... Dont feel bad.... Noah is 2 weeks and i only get him to do it for a couple minutes too.. he is not a big fan of tummy time either!
sorry- not a boppy- a bumbo
Alright... I am a little late on these posts :)  But, I have been busy...

I have been doing it once a day (Leighton isn't a huge fan either) but we do do it for 15 minutes.  She does get fussy towards the end do I try and redirect her attention by doing something silly or making a weird face or noise.  This seems to help her forget that she doesn't want to be "working out" :)