Pregnancy: Oct 2009 Babies Community
Just a question

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in October 2009.

Just a question

I have seen in a couple of places where it is good for you to sleep on your left side when pregnant.  Just wondering why and when is that supposed to the best position to sleep?  I am assuming that it is for later in pregnany than what we are right now. I have not had to deal with that with any of my previous pregnancies.  Any help would be great!!
They say the best sleeping position during pregnancy is to sleep on your side and it's even better to sleep on your left side. It will increase the amount of blood and nutrients that reach the placenta and the baby. By sleeping on your back in can restrict the blood flow. But everyone usually shifts positions during sleep, which is completely normal and fine! But it is best to try to sleep on your side or at least start out like that. Especially later in pregnancy, but even now, it's a good habit to start. I always sleep on my side, so it's not hard to do, but some people like to sleep on their back or belly and as you continue to grow, it will surely get harder to sleep on your belly!!! =)
As Chantal said- it provides more oxygen to the baby. By laying on your back or even your right side you will restrict how much oxygen gets to baby. It's not life-threatening. If you wake up on your back don't freak out, just roll yourself back over. By the time you're in the 3rd trimester you won't even be able to roll over very well anyway.

I sleep with a body pillow on my left side, but I did that before I was pregnant, too, so I'm used to it. Some women sleep on their belly until their belly gets too big and that's fine.