Pregnancy: Sep 2009 Babies Community
OT- Now that the baby is born how much are you spending at the grocery ...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in September 2009.

OT- Now that the baby is born how much are you spending at the grocery store?

Funny question for you guys today. Since the baby has joined us we don't eat out as much and I'm noticing we spend soo much more at the grocery store every month. What do you think is average for a family of 4? It's myself, dh, baby, and ds. I know that diapers are exensive, but we seem to be spending twice as much as before she was born.
i spend pretty much the same, i still have diapers, i did have to buy wipes for the first time.  I didnt eat out a lot b4, we only eat out 4 times a month, if that.  DS is 14 and like full course meals so i cook 5 days a week or we go to my parents sometimes for dinner,
we are spending so much more, partially because when lily mucks up we go shopping because it calms her, lol a shopaholic already. We havent really needed to buy nappies and wipes just mainly $30.00 a tin for formula now that lily has decided she wont breastfeed during the day cause its so damn hot!
About the same, actually.  With four kids and a teacher's salary, I am pretty good about shopping sales and using coupons, LoL.  Cooper is on the WalMart brand formula and diapers (unless I have a great coupon for Huggies), so that costs probably $30 a week.  

BUT, I go to the store less often, so I think it comes out about the same as before he was born.  I'd say we spend about $500/month in groceris (plus toiletries and cleaning products, etc) for a family of 6.  

I'd be interested to hear what others spend....
lol for 2 adults and lily we are spending about 500 a month
About 350 a month...with DH, baby, and me.
About 400 a month - DH, DS, and me.  I'm a terrible bargain shopper though!
Thanks ladies! I think our problem is not planning our meals before we go to the store. We just grab the things we use to make meals, but then end up going back to the store at least twice a week for smaller items. Those $40 and $50 trips are killing me!
I am spending on average $120-130 per week not including formula. I try to go to BJs is like a Costco, Sams place to buy the jumbo formula. They are $5 cheaper than buying it at Target or Walmart. I think I am spending more money b/c my Aunt is staying with me to watch Brandon and stepson. She is on a strict diet b/c she is diabetic so I have to buy her special things too. Trust me is killing me too. I buy the diapers that come in 204 or 218 for like $40 dollars and they seem to last me a while....
We are spending more just because my mom stays with us Mo-Fr...about $75 - $120 per week...Luckily, a friend helped us get WIC so right now, I don't pay for formula...Thank God! Since she is now in size 1, we haven't purchased diapers for about a month...we still have a case of those to go through from the shower...wipes too!
I think that we are spending about the same as before.  We usually shop at walmart so we've cut out alot of the things that we don't need, ie. movies, games, things we don't like to eat.  I also try to go to Aldes(sp) once a week or so to get some things as well... ei meat and milk, those kinds of things that are usually cheeper there.  Any who it's probably about 50-100 bucks a week, tho we havent been buying many diapers right now because we have so many to use up that I had bought before we even gave birth... but once we start doing that it will probably increasse spending a bit.  Oh also I get the coupons from Goodstart(the fromal that we are using) and that's like 11 bucks off... usually once a week or so so that really helps.
I do try to plan ahead more, stocking up so I don't have to go to the grocery store so often and then getting meat & dairy & vegetables locally (we have a great butcher shop and local dairy farm we use all the time).  

Sam is on cloth diapers and breastmilk so the only extra expenses are wipes, bottles etc. I highly recommend the cloth diapers to save $$, they have been great.
What kind of cloth diapers do you use?
I use Gerber pre-folds together with Thirsties plastic pants.  They take a little more time to put on than disposables, but I find they don't leak as much.  I probably invested $120 at first on the diapers but that's lasted us 3 months and should last a few more months.  I wash a load of diapers on heavy duty about every 3 days.