Pregnancy: Sep 2013 Babies Community
medication

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in September 2013.

medication

Any other mommys been prescribed promethazine for nausea/vomiting? Is it safe to take I'm very paranoid about taking any type of medication unless im unable to stand pain/ discomfort
I haven't. if the docs give it you then its ok to take, they aren't gonna to hive you anything that's going to harm the baby. you van always ask your Dr if you have any concerns. good luck with your pregnancy
I have been prescribed that. I believe that and zofran are the two they give pregnant women. Its a lifesaver. Lol
I've known women that have been prescribed promethazine during pregnancy and not had issues. I do want you to be educated though, here is what the FDA says about it and pregnancy. I pulled this from the drugs .com website.

"FDA pregnancy category C. It is not known whether promethazine is harmful to an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant during treatment. It is not known whether promethazine passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Do not use this medication without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby. Older adults may be more likely to have side effects from promethazine."

Zofran/Ondansetron is also used in pregnancy. I felt safe using this during pregnancy as I have known more women who have used it without any problems. it's a newer drug and works very well without the sedating side effects that promethazine can have. Here is the FDA information too.

Ondansetron has been assigned to pregnancy category B by the FDA. Animal studies failed to reveal evidence of fetal damage. There are no controlled data in human pregnancy. Case reports have described two women who have received ondansetron during pregnancy for life-threatening hyperemesis gravidarum. No abnormalities were noted in the offspring of these two women. Ondansetron is only recommended for use during pregnancy when benefit outweighs risk.

Hope this helps