Pregnancy: Social Community
Custody?

This community is where you can chat with other members about day-to-day Pregnancy issues and topics. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. If you have questions or are in need of Pregnancy support, please visit our Pregnancy 18-24, Pregnancy 25-34 or Pregnancy 35+ communities.

Custody?

How do courts determine who gets primary custody if it is an unmarried couple?
it is normally the mum, or joint custody.   x
Mom has primary custody from birth until a judge makes a ruling. It's normally the mom
Thanks ladies!
Just curious if anyone knows what factors they consider?
For instance, I'm a student trying to obtain a degree and he has no higher education. Do they look at that as I will be able to provide better or no?
Well unless he is trying to take you for full custody that really won't be a big deal like if he just wants basic dad rights like every other weekend/ 3 weeks out of the summer, every other holiday , they will just do it that way but if he's wanting to fight you for it then yes they will take that into consideration
Thry would also take into consideration personal lifestyles - ie history of alcohol / drug abuse, previous arrests, living conditions - who you live with, overcrowding etc etc etc x
usually mother my friends and mil the fathers only had visitation rights until the babys were around 6-8 months then the father would get 2 visitations and 1 overnight stay a month, after they turn 2 they get them about everyother weekend or everyother week whatever type of custody is awarded
Usually the mom but not always. My husband has full custody of his little girl.
Thanks so much for your input!
My boyfriend has done a stint in jail for parole violation in California and he has some things on his juvenile record.
My record is squeaky clean so hopefully that helps.
We are trying to work through all our problems but I only ask all of this because we live in a city an hour away from all my friends and family and I find it hard to believe that I'm going to want to raise my child away from her whole family and he's unwilling to understand that so I'm torn between wanting it to work with him or getting to spend this special time with my family around.
This also kind of a low jab to my boyfriend but I just want every possible form of information I can have..
Will the court take into consideration that his dad left when he was a baby?
Statistically men whose fathers left them they are more likely to leave as well.
they probably wont take that into consideration.. cause my mom and dad were alcholics and my dad would beat me, but ive never touched alchol or hurt a child, if hes said he doesnt want the child definitly keep that to use against him..,my friends bd send her 3 texts (different times) about how he didnt want the baby so when he tried to take her to court the judge saw the texts and ordered him to pay child support no visitation
Just keep any hateful, rude, derogatory texts and voicemails to use. Believe me girl. My hubby went thru it trying to get custody of his "son" from the druggy, felon, crazy mother. She used to send nasty things to him and cuss him over voicemail and then turn around and send him naked pics of her. He was about to be awarded sole custody until the DNA test proved he wasn't the daddy.