Pregnancy: Social Community
smoking marijuana while pregnant. good or bad?

This community is where you can chat with other members about day-to-day Pregnancy issues and topics. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. If you have questions or are in need of Pregnancy support, please visit our Pregnancy 18-24, Pregnancy 25-34 or Pregnancy 35+ communities.

It has been said that smoking marijuana while pregnant helps keep you relaxed, relieves some pain, and causes no harm to the baby what so ever. I currently smoke pot, and may be pregnant im not sure yet though i have to wait a couple weeks to take a test. But if i am pregnant and smoking pot causes harm to baby's then i definitely want to quit for the sake of my baby's health. So is it good or bad?
I've never read anything bad about it...
I've never read anything GOOD about it..
I've never read anything GOOD about it either. I feel if its not something you would give to your baby once its born you shouldn't give it to your baby when you're pregnant because it does cross the placenta.
I've read lots of research about it, and they have never been able to link smoking marijuana to birth defects or anything going wrong in a pregnancy, some countries have used it during child birth to help with the pain of labor.. Best of luck to ya...
I agree with tomorrow. If you wouldn't pass your newborn a joint then you shouldn't do it while your pregnant. Everything you are putting in your body is going to the baby.

You should read the studies marijuana has on the human brain. It is addictive and it can cause psychosis. It doesn't help to speed your brain it slows you down making it harder to take in reality and your surroundings.

As a past time pot smoker I agree with the studies that have been done. I was addicted I did go through bouts of craziness and I couldn't function quickly enough to get a job done in a timely fashion. And there is a reason why people who have been long-term smokers refer to forgetfulness as having pot brain or that was too many joints ago.

Don't just look at studies during pregnancy look at studies done in teens and adults and it might majesty second guess smoking it yourself.
Marijuana isn't addicting in the first place . Im a criminal.justice major and taken courses on drug and alcohol abuse . Alcohol is the worst for your child i.e birth defects . I used to be a big time pothead and smoked everyday for many years but it's not hard to quit. Some of my friends smoked while pregnant and their baby came out fine.
My suggestions is do whatever you want. If you feel Comfy being pregnant and smoking by all means . If not just quit , and smoke afterwards , that's what I might do :)
Many people are so misinformed about marijuana, it has way less side affects then alot of other meds perscribed during pregnancy, if u buy from a trusted source, then its literally all natural its a plant that grows from the ground.. Honestly I think more people should smoke it.. like mommahelizabeth said, its ur body do as u plz.. ")
Thanx everybody :)
It may have less side effects but it still has side effects.  By the way it's not just your body anymore you are sharing it. And just because a few baby's come out fine doesn't mean all of them will. Please tell my brother it isn't addicting and my husband including myself we all had a hard time quitting and staying quit. Marijuana is worse than cigarettes. A drug is a drug and if it's illegal then stay away. It isn't needed because there are better and less intoxicating ways to relax.
Marijuana isn't really considered a "drug". It actually relaxes you unlike any other drugs out there. If you do smoke marijuana then you shouls know that that is why labs have indicas , sativas and hybrids. All other drugs make you do dumb stuff and have all sorts of chemicals in it , unlike Marijuana, which is a natural herb . Marijuana contains THC , not man made chemicals. Cigarretes cause birth defects even with just second hand smoke. All other drugs cause birth defects, such as crack babies. But when have you heard or read about marijuana babies ?

There's nothing in marijuana that makes it addicting. Its because you have grown accustomed to it and see it as an everday routine.
Even if they were to say marijuana is safe, which I don't believe because I know a decent number of people who smoke it and have killed way too many brain cells doing so, but it is frequently laced with other more dangerous drugs. There aren't many studies done regarding its use during pregnancy since it is illegal in most states. Also I know that in the state of Minnesota if you test positive for it while pregnant that they are required to report you to the county.
That's retarded. Cocain.. opium even.. are all natural. Pot is on a lesser scale, yes.. but its still an influence you shouldn't be okay exposing an UNBORN baby to. Whatever you do with your body.. you're doing it to your babys body also. Just because birth defects from pot aren't common.. why even take that chance? Its not something you can go back and redo.
And this is why i made the post because im going to quit if its harmful so my baby will stay healthy.... confused ¿?¿ it has been tested that its not harmful during pregnancy but yet doctors say it is.... kinda like the new sayen about peanut butter and jelly eating it while pregnant may make your baby mentally ill idk everythangs confidence.....
And this is why i made the post because im going to quit if its harmful so my baby will stay healthy.... confused ¿?¿ it has been tested that its not harmful during pregnancy but yet doctors say it is.... kinda like the new sayen about peanut butter and jelly eating it while pregnant may make your baby mentally ill idk everythangs confusen
True tomorrow its not addicting and its not a drug unless it's laced I've smoked for a good bit of years every single day and i can stop like its nothen! The question isn't about whether its addicting of if its a drug the question is is it harmful? I get tested next week if im pregnant and i will quit if its harmful.
About it crossing the placenta
My doc said its not harmful. I stopped smoking when I found out I was pregnant. Not because I was prego  but because I felt weird and awkward . So do what you feel is best  :)
Cocaine COMES from a plant and has more man made things to it .
In the bible it says one herb will reunite the nations, I'm a strong believer its marijuana.. ")
The Bible also says to stay sober minded. When Adam and Eve sinned they brought sin to the whole world. That included plants and animals. Just because something may seem good doesn't mean it is. Eve thought the serpent was good and it turned out to bite her and Adam in the rear and the rest of us.

Marijuana doesn't have enough studies to prove it's OK. If there were more American studies to prove it is I wouldn't argue. From the study I watched on the national geographic channel it proved it slows the thought process which I agree. It does imbalance the chemicals in your brain and I do agree because when I didn't have it after I quit I wasn't very pleasant to be around. It does have an addictiveness to it because people who have quit only quit for short periods before going back. Usually they only quit to get a job and then start right back. It does burn brain cells making memories distant and harder to recall.

Yes I believe it can be used as a medicine for people who truly need it. Such as those who have aids, cancer, or serious chronic pain. But it's sad people abuse it just to get high. There are other ways to relax other than marijuana. It is a drug and as a drug it should be regulated to help those in desperate need. Just like pain relievers and any other pharmaceutical.

Look at the studies that have the pros and cons on long term smoking on teens and adults. The national geographic had a good one. Make sure anything you research has resources from actual scientific studies and not someone who is trying to sell an idea just to legalize it for the world. It should be legal but only after further studies and as a prescription drug.

Everything has side effects. Some you see now and some that come later. Just be careful. And as stated before if you wouldn't let your small child outside of the womb do it then I wouldn't do it while pregnant or breastfeeding.
i am a mmj patient. ive done my research. it has no negative effects on baby until you start breastfeeding. many babies actually hit milestones sooner if the mother was a marijuana user during pregnancy. you wont find many reliable sources on american studies, because american women that get tested are later found out to have been using other drugs during pregnancy. marijuana is the only morning sickness cure for some women. so when it comes down to the nitty gritty its your choice. if youre feeling like its helping you, go for it. if youre feeling iffy about it, give it some thought. the only 100% proven negative effects come from smoking marijuana while breastfeeding.
None of these people can really give you a real answer. Just an opinionvreally. My mom smoked with me and not my two brothers and i am probably tje most well adjuated considering ones drug addict and the other has adhd flucked out and it took jail to graduated. I carrie a 4.0 and hve never been in trouble and never done drugs. Do what you think. If you have to do spme research . I personally sont think its harmfil i smoed during my pregnancy and my daughter is amazingly healthy. Has never been sick. Its all
None of these people can really give you a real answer. Just an opinionvreally. My mom smoked with me and not my two brothers and i am probably tje most well adjuated considering ones drug addict and the other has adhd flucked out and it took jail to graduated. I carrie a 4.0 and hve never been in trouble and never done drugs. Do what you think. If you have to do spme research . I personally sont think its harmfil i smoed during my pregnancy and my daughter is amazingly healthy. Has never been sick. Its all up to you. But i dont think you have to quit
Then maybe you should actually do some research because there is more good to smoking weed than there is bad and there are a few legitimate studies that support the good in marijuana. Don't come on here sounding so uneducated please. Yes.. old post I know. Please Google Dr. Melanie Dreher Study. Thank you.
You're wrong