Pregnancy and Parenting: Multiples Community
Twins confirmed but 4 days apart

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pregnancy & Parenting Multiples.

Twins confirmed but 4 days apart

Hi ladies, I was wondering if anyone else has had twins that were conceived a few days apart and went on to a full term pregnancy for both? I am currently almost 8 weeks along and was confirmed with twins at 6 weeks. At our 6 and 7 week ultrasound we heard the heartbeat of both babies. I was just a little worried since one is bigger than the other that the bigger one might absorb the smaller sac. If I was to have a vanishing twin would it have happened by now? I dont know too much about twins so any advice/info would be greatly appreciated.
i really don't know anything about twins but it dosen't mean you concieved them 4 days appart, babies just grow at different rates and 4 days isin't much of a difference.
My OB confirmed that I conceived them 4 days apart. One is bigger than the other and the bigger one has a faster heartrate. I am hoping it isnt that big a difference. I would be so heartbroken to lose another lil one. Any advice from anyone with twins would be greatly appreciated.
I'm expecting twins and the gestational age is different for both. My OB told me this was normal, one baby is usually larger than the other.  
I agree with the other 2 posters.  Babies grow at different rates.  Even moms with IVF (with confirmed "conception dates") often are given more than one estimated due date (edd) for their babies.  If your doctor is not aware of twin pregnancies, it may be time to change to a more multiple friendly doctor.
I did ivf and today my twins measured 2 days differently when they were the same 1.5 weeks ago.  I don't think 4 days is much difference.  Were both heartbeats over 100?  Different babies do have different heartrates,  If the heartrates were good and they were both growing from the last ultrasound then I think vanishing twin would be very unlikely to happen.  The important thing is that both hbs are good and they are growing and not decreasing in size.  Hugs - I know it is worrisome.
my twins were 2 days appart and they are almost 2 years old now.....
Well they said that I released two eggs and they implanted at two different times which is why they are 4 days apart. The big babies heartbeat at 7 weeks was 138 and the smaller ones heartbeat was 125. I am just still amazed that this has happened to me and that I have been double blessed. I'm not sure of when it will feel real. Maybe once I start showing. Thanks ladies for all of your advice. You really put my mind at ease!!
My advice is that you should not get caught up in sizes and rates. Try and stay calm with your twin pregnancy. I was terrified about vanishing twin syndrome before 12 weeks, I was terrified about then coming early and survival rates and I spent my pregnancy worried sick. In the end I went into labour at 28 weeks!!!! I'm not saying it was because of stress, they have no idea why I went into preterm labour but it makes me wonder.

Thankfully I have two very healthy, 20 month old twin boys.

One other things I will say is, here in the UK the US techs and the Drs tell you the twins are fraternal if they have two sacs and two placentas (this was the case for mine) and they go on about how there is a very faint line/thicker line that helps them determine this.
Well, my research showed me that 1/3 of all twins that are dichorionic diamniotic are in fact identical. As a science teacher it amazes me that these professionals are oblivious to this fact but it also reminds me that sometimes they get things wrong as well. Have a look at my twins and tell me if you can tell them apart ;)

Wishing you twin mommas, a happy, healthy, stress free pregnancy x x x

And with twins you will show soon at 8 week ppl could tell I was prego...you can look at my pics and see lol
First of all Congratulations on having twins.  I just had my 2nd set of twins on April 2nd a boy and girl.  When my hubby and I went to the 1st sonogram and we saw that we were having twins again the tech told us that the babies were conceived a day apart and they were born on the same day.  I unfortunetly had them at 32 wks due to preclampsia and the boy (Brian weighed 3 lbs 11oz) & the girl (Emily weighed 2 lbs 13 oz).  Brian stayed in the hospital for 3 wks and 2 days and Emily stayed in the hospital for 4 wks and as of today they are doing great.  They are both gaining weight and look really good.  I know what you mean though about one being bigger than the other.  It turned out that the boy was taking the nutrients from the girl so she stopped growing at one point.  She was better off outside of the womb so between that and the preclampsia that's why I delivered early.  Not to say that this will happen to u but it's just what happened to me.  I wish you the best of luck and you will be fine.  Let me know of your progress.  Take care.  
Hi, I just had my 7 week scan and the same thing - one is measuring 8.5mm and the other is 6.5mm. Both heartbeats strong though. My RE said 50% chance of vanishing twin so we have another ultrasound next week. I am nervous. Anybody else had that?
hi, I am 7 weeks 4 days pregnant and gynae just confirmed that there are 2 heart beats, which both look strong.. however he said it is UNLIKELY one will make it to 12 weeks as it measures over 3mm smaller than the other and that he believes the smaller will stop growing and be reabsorbed by my body - can anyone else relate or help with more info please on their experience?
i am in the same case. I am 13 weeks with one twin and 14 weeks with the other. Both their due dates are in mid-late october but on different days. I am still confused as to how this happened!
I am 18 years of age and found out I'm 8 weeks pregnant with twins which are also 4 days apart my Dr also told me that it was common that 1 will not survive because 1 of them is 17mm and d  other is 13mm so therefore 1 is obviously bigger. This is my first time being pregnant and I'm scared but still don't wanna lose none of my babies. I'm praying that they both survive.
A am pregnant with twins and a am 34weeks found out a was pregnant with twins at 6weeks so cant wait 4 it 2 be over such a stressful n emotional am only a small person n bfre a found out a had a bump thats how a new somethink wasnt right  speshily compared 2 my other 3 pregancys a hav twins on my mothers side bt years bck so shocked still tht a hav been blessed wid twins bt hopefully not long now n they will soon be here