Pregnancy Expert Forum
32 weeks pregnant with possible premature labor

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

I've barely made it to the 32 weeks on a bed rest and nefidipine every 4 hrs, for almost 4 weeks. My braxton hicks contractions are getting stronger and i could not even sleep for 3 hours during the last two nights, due to pain associated with it. I remember this type of pain - pulling in the low back and belly - from my previous pregnancy (18 years ago). So i am worrying about these sensations at night because no other symptoms are present and it goes away during the day (for now). Also, i am staying in bed, but as soon as i get up or even turn to the side i have a contraction. Please advise me what to do, as i do not have ONE doctor assigned to me, rather it's the whole office and it's so inpossible to get somebody on the phone!
Thank you!
Hi!
Premature contractions can be VERY annoying!  And studies have shown that they are more frequent at night.
If you were my patient, I would have to tell you that there is probably not much more that you can do that you are not already doing.

I'm sure you know the drill--drink lots of caffiene-free fluids, rest in bed on your left side, keep you bladder empty, take your nifedepine as directed, and monitor baby's movements.  Does your baby trigger contractions?  Many of them do!

I would want you to call me if you had more than 6 contractions in an hour over a span of an hour or two, if they become painful, regular, closer, or if there is bleeding. or leaking of fluid,

One thing you may not know, is that many women take Tylenol PM to help them sleep.
That is something to consider.  You won't sleep through real labor, but it can be very nice to sleep through Braxton Hicks!

Good luck!

Dr B
Thank you so much! It calms me down when i know that someone else has the same experience. One more thing: how accurate is the FFT test? I've had one more then 2 weeks ago - negative. But a couple of days ago in the hospital they took it, but did not send for the test, because my cervix length was 2.8 on sono. Im 32+ weeks, but need to hold till 34 at least. Does it make sense to request them to do FFT again?
Thank you and good luck with your babies!