Pregnancy Expert Forum
Baby may be born at 36 weeks

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Baby may be born at 36 weeks

I was in the hosptial for two days with the doctor trying to stop my labor.  He finally got it stopped putting me on some kind of IV drug for 12 hours.  I am home know, but starting to have contractions.  I am really scared this baby is going to be born early.  I am a repeate c-section and the baby is breech, so he does not want me contracting.  I am currently 36 weeks 3 days.  Is it to early for the baby to be born?  I am really scared something will be wrong.  She is a good size baby.  At my 35w 4d Ultrasound she weighed almost 7 lbs, but I know weight does not having anything to do with development.  I just want her to stay in as long as possible, but he does not want my uterus to rupture either.  

Is 36 weeks 3 days to early??

We consider term at 37 weeks, which you are very close to.  Babies born near term (34-36 6/7 weeks) generally do very well, but have more problems breathing on their own, regulating their own temperature, feeding, and have more jaundice.  And such they are more likely to have to spend time in a NICU or nursery.  

So, for the most part, the prognosis for your baby is excellent.

Best regards,

Dr. Downing
I would keep my doctor informed of every little thing.  I would demand his personal number, lol!  I wouldn't think that a child born at 36 or 37 weeks would be in a lot of danger, but I'm not a proffessional.  Just try to relax, and pray about it.  You never know, perhaps they dated the pregnancy wrong?  It might actually be time.  I would panic too much though, because it could make things worse.  I hope everything goes well for you.  Try doing a search on the internet of "babies born at 36 weeks" and see if you can find any stories, statistics, etc.
Okay, I looked it up, couldn't stand it!  Babycenter.com and my pregnancy book both say that 37 weeks is considered full-term.  So try and make it another 4 days!  I really think it will be okay.  I'll be praying for you!
Hi, I had my son at 33+5 and he's 10 months old and sleeping upstairs.  He's a beautiful healthy boy, so try not to worry too much.  Your dr just wants your baby's lungs to be prepared before making an appearance, but if they didn't give you steroids at hospital, I don't think they'd be overly worried about that at your stage.  Having said that, take it easy cos the longer that bun is in the oven the better it cooks.  They are probably also worried about a labour going too far with you having had a c-section before and the baby being breech.  It just make sit complicated.  Don't hesitate if you think your going into labour again, get back to your dr's.  Happy labouring. xx