Pregnancy Expert Forum
Bleeding and Bowel Movements

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Bleeding and Bowel Movements

I am 9 1/2 weeks pregnant via IVF. I have been having some unexplained bleeding... bright red in color. I have had an ultrasound that shows the embryo is in the correct place, growing as expected and is chugging along at 188bpm(yesterday). The bleeding is on a touch and go basis meaning... starts then stops and maybe gone for a few days...oddly, I have noticed that after a bowel movement the bleeding tends to reappear. The amount of bleeding varies, I seem to have no associated cramping... just the bleeding. Is it possible that constipation and "straining" can lead to bleeding and still not be a sign of trouble? I have had several miscarriages due to luteal phase problems and currently am taking progesterone 200mg three times a day and natalcare vit.

If the bleeding is related to the bowel movements... what do you think I can do to help? Is there an over the counter fiber supplement that I can safely take?

You should be examined by your ob/gyn to try to identify the source of the bleeding.  

If it turns out it is due to hemorrhoids, fiber supplementation and or stool softners may be in order.  Increasing your intake of foods high in fiber would be a good place to start.  These include whole-grain foods (such as bran cereals) and breads (those made with whole wheat grains), fresh fruits (including the skin and pulp), dried or stewed fruits (such as prunes, raisins, or apricots), root vegetables (such as carrots, turnips, or potatoes), raw or fresh vegetables, such as cabbage (lettuce is actually low in fiber).

Best regards,

Dr. Downing
Dr. Browning,

I apologize for not being more clear, I was "examined" via trans-vag u/s. My bleeding is vaginal only. I had read on a forum some where the uterus can in fact be irriated as stool moves through the intestinal tract enough to cause vaginal bleeding due increased blood flow to the uterus.  I suppose I am wondering of this is true. If it is.. will increasing my fiber in take help with the situation?

Thanks for responding and no matter what I fully intend to take in more fiber!
I don't think the dr. responds more than once.  I clicked on your post because I just experienced bleeding at 7 weeks and it happened along with my BM.  LIke yours, my u/s looked fine.  Would be curious to know if you ever get an answer.  Good luck.
Hello there!

I am glad to see that you too have had this happen. I can't seem to get a straight answer on the subject. Frustrating. My bleeding had stopped until another bowel movement last night. What did your MD tell you? Mine just seemed puzzled.
Hi again-
I didn't mention it to my dr. because all I was scared about at the moment was that I had bled into the toilet.  It was only after reading your post that I thought about it possibly being related to b.m.  I have not had bleeding since.   I'm sorry I can't help you.  I hope your bleeding goes away soon!  Are you going to ask your doctor?
hello there!

i am no longer concerned about it. i am sure it is from the bm. i suppose i thought verification that such a thing could happen would relax me some. i hope my post helps some one else know that it does happen.

i did mention it to my md who stated that straining can irritate the uterus.. so that was all the confirmation that i needed. it has happened a few times since and i don't panic as much now.

hope you are doing well!
Good to hear!  Bleeding seems to be SO normal in one form or the other so I'm not surprised your doctor confirmed it's fine.  Best of luck to you in the rest of your pregnancy!  I'm doing fine except morning sickness started about two days ago and I was vomiting most meals today and in bed all day.  Hope tomorrow is a better day.  I'm telling myself that m/s is a good sign that the pregnancy is continuing!
Right after I wrote that note last night, I experienced a tiny bit of blood on toilet paper with a bm.  Ugh!  I called my doctor this morning and they said it could be hemmroids and to keep an eye on it but those would not affect my pregnancy.  I guess I'll just relax as you have done but it's hard to do when you keep reading about people who miscarry at 20 weeks, etc.  You wonder whether they experienced weird things like this earlier on...:(
A related discussion, Bleeding @ bowels was started.