Pregnancy Expert Forum
Epidural question

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Epidural question

I wanted to know if it is safe to get an epidural during labor? I have heard mixed things and am scared of paralysis from the needle going into your spine. One doctor has told me that the risk is slim to none and am anesthesiologist told me its a myth that you can get paralyzed and that only happened in the 80s before everything was perfected. I have no pain tolerance but am really scared to get an epidural.
Hi there. I had an epi after being.in labour for 41 hours. It was because I was exhausted and my cervix only got to 6 cm. It's as safe as the doctor has told you. like anything there is always a small risk involved. I was also a bit scared but all went well in the end.  It's really a last resort to you for pain relief or it may.come down to not having a choice if they need to preform an emergency c-section. Which is what I ended up having. Good luck and listen to your body and the staff around you and you will be fine.
I have 3 bbys and got the epidural for all of them and look at me Thank god everythngs gone well. But the only thing is that when is cold my back hurts alil bet.. And when U get it the dctr tells U not to move at all U have to consentrate and do not move or else the needle can go somewhere else U just feel like a lil pinch. And I got it whe I was open to 4 cm dnt get it before or after cuz with my 3rd bby I got it when I was open to 2 cm amd the epidural went away so I felt everythng at the time I was giving birth lol and Im preggo again we'll see if I can hang the pain cuz it really hurts..lol.. And once again Thank God everythng went fine :-)).
I did two babies natural and 1 with the epidural.  The epidiural is alright I guess, going to try to do this baby natural again as well.  The back pain after the epidiral was terrible and nothing helped.  I think if you go into labor with the mind set of " I am going to try it this way but am open to other options" it makes l&d go better.  
I had it ... its your choice for your own comfort buy there's a risk as well
And yes back pain was horrible as if someone broke your back
I had the same worry in my last labor but i took it cause my fear of labor was more than the fear of it.. Anyway it was a great bleassing fron god i disnt feel anything and enjoy seeing my baby getting out with a lot of relief.. Take it....
it is completely safe if the doctor knows how to and makes sure know how he does u be perfectly fine you wont be little pain from the needle but thats all
Ok I've had 2 with epi and Prego with my 3rd. Do research. It will help relax you. Now the whole little pinch thing is bull. You will feel a sharp pinch and a shooting cramp that goes through your legs. Now it is true you need to be perfectly still, but if you have a contraction that's impossible, so make sure whoever is holding you has the strength to make you hold still
Had one with my last baby it was a walking epidural to give small doses at a time. It was amazing. I was induced so the contractions were forced and i went from 3 to 10 in 45minsOUCH. Wouldn't dream of doing it without the epidural with my next one in April.. Props to those that can. But i liked the small doses so i wasn't n alot of pain but not numb. I could focus on breathing and staying mellow. Best of luck to you.
In my experience it didnt hurt as bad as everyone made it out to be. I went in planned to go all natural but 4 days into labor I waa tired and suffering from the pain....  I didnt know what I was so worried about and wished i got it sooner. The small pain you get from the shot will feel like nothing compared to what else is going on ...Lol I know better this time around!
I was in so much pain, that when could get the epidural...i wanted it in quick , fast and safe. It was amazing! I will def be getting another in 7 1/2 months. Plus I tore while pushing her out and the epi covered all the pain!
Don't do it avoid it unless its an emergency csection because it will hurt the rest of your life you will get really bad back ache burning sinsation in cold weather and when your doing a work out or just daily Aron's you can't hunch foward to long or lay on your back for to long when it starts hurting
I went the natural route and succeeded! Will aim for the same this august. A woman mentioned 41 hrs of labor...a hero in my book. See how it goes naturally an make decision as tim comes. Knowledge awareness and willpower are key
What crelliot said I don't completely believe. All you should feel if it's done correctly is the pinch of the local anesthetic then nothing as they put the epidural in. I'm going to have one. I think it will make the whole experience a little more relaxing and enjoyable instead of just focusing on the pain.
I was scared for the epidural because of all the horror stories everyone will undoubtably tell you! I have a very deep phobia of needles and actually, the IV hurt worse than the epi did! I would advice you to try it! My anesthesiologist was awesome and I felt no pain and only a small pinch from when he administered the local.
Just to ease your fears... I had one and it was brilliant. Got it at 6cm and it was the biggest relief ever! I had no back pain after and no i'll effects. You just have to hold super still so they can get it the first time, the more tries it takes the more risk there is for side effects. The only side effect I had was a strange feeling where it was injected for a couple months.
I think everyone's experience is a little different but that it is overall safe.  I had epi with first two with no problems and other than slight discomfort during procedure no back pain after or later at all like others are saying.  I had an accident 4 yrs ago with resulting major back injury and so i have to have a natural birth this time.   I think you should do whatever makes you less scared....if you tense up the job gets harder.
I agree with crelliot89.  The more tensed up the. get the harder it's gonna be to do your job and the more anxious and out of control you. feel now.  If you do the research and truly feel uncomfortable with epi then ask your doc if s/he has any alternative options that can help with pain that aren't quite so invasive.  Go to the birthing classes too it will alleviate some of your fears. For what its worth i did have successful epi's with my first two, and no lasting effects.
When my sis got it they deadened her back first, n each of my sisters had it twice.. N my mother had it 5times n she is fine. Nobody haa backaches or nothin.. So each situation is different