Pregnancy Expert Forum
Flat Nipples and Breastfeeding

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Flat Nipples and Breastfeeding
I am planning on breastfeeding my baby once its born, but after some research it looks as though i have flat nipples, as well as very small nipples!
Is breastfeeding still possible and if so, will it be more difficult than someone who lets say doesnt have flat/small nipple??!!?!
Oh yes, and i did the squeeze test on my breast as well and my nipples sink inwards when i did this action, what does that mean???

I recommend you visit with a lactation consultant (available in most hospitals) after you deliver who will be able to help you and your baby have the best chance to succeed at breastfeeding.

I wish you well.

Dr. Downing
I think for those kind of issues they sell nipple shields to help the baby nurse. There will be a lactation consultant there for after you deliver.
I would recommend you read Dr Jack Newman's book The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers.  You can also go to his web-site.  This man is awesome and is very staunch in his crusade to help mother's breastfeed.  You might find that the "lactation consultants" at hospitals are not super supportive of breastfeeding.  Don't give up.  Baby's don't suck on the nipple anyways, they just need to be able to get a hold of the areola that surrounds the nipple.

Formula feeding babies is like taking your child to a fastfood restraunt everyday and has about as much nutrition.  So, stick to your guns.
Thanks, i'll take a look at his website!
I successfully breast fed both of my children, each for 6 months, and I have two inverted nipples! The nipples had to be teased out and the baby latched on quickly or else they would invert again. It was painful and sore to begin with (for about 4 weeks) because of not being able to get the technique quite right and because of them not used to being out in broad day light!, but soon the nipples stayed semi-erect due to the constant suckling, the pain went away and it was all worth while. I was really worried that I wouldn't be able to breast feed and I was too embaressed to ask about inverted nipples at my breastfeeding class but luckily I had a very patient and helpful midwife. I am now pregnant with my third child and would not hesitate to breastfeed again despite the pain and frustration because I know I can do it and the rewards are so great. I'm sure you will be fine too, just go for it, don't give in but remember if it doesn't work out, don't beat yourself up over it.