Pregnancy Expert Forum
Left side pain
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Left side pain

Today I am 4 weeks and 2 days pregnant! When I was 3 weeks 4 days pregnat i started having bad dull achy stabbing like pains in my left side. The pain continued for 2 more days continuously and now it only comes and goes. The 3rd day of having the continuous pain I went to the ER and after some blood work, the ER doctor told me I was having Round Ligament pain. I was not spotting or bleeding so that ruled out Ectopic pregnancy. i do have an 19 month old daughter and I really dont remember having these pains this early when I was pregnant with her. Is it too soon for Round Ligament pain? Or was the ER doctor right? My HCg levels at 4 weeks was 312 if that helps.
Related Discussions
603463_tn?1220630455
Hi!
Everything does seem to happen earlier the second time around, but I agree that 4 weeks is a bit early for round ligament pain.  It IS very common for pain to occur early on, and even fairly severe pain can be normal.  It is also good that you got it checked out and they basically didn't find anything wrong.

One thing that I see over and over again in pregnancy, is bowel problems.  Just about everybody has trouble because the high progesterone levels of pregnancy cause the bowels to move more slowly.  Left sided pain is always suspicious for bowel problems.

If you were my patient, I would encourage you to increase your fluids, take it easy on the exercise, and use Miralax or Colace if needed to help the bowels along.

I hope this helps!

Dr B
2 Comments
Blank
1309017_tn?1274449378
Hi della03 it is normal to have diffrent side affects the second time....
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
603463_tn?1220630455
Elaine Brown, MDBlank
Elaine Brown, MD - BLOG
Billings, MT
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now