Pregnancy Expert Forum
Sunburn during Pregnancy

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Sunburn during Pregnancy

Hi Doctor,

I am currently 8 weeks pregnant.  Went for an ultrasound last Thursday (june 6th) was estimated to be 7weeks and 2 days. Baby had a strong heart beat.

Yesterday I was outside with my son for about 1:45 minutes and the my shoulders got pretty burned. My nose and forehead, and shins got red, but nothing to bad.

I am wondering if a sunburn can increase my body temperature enough to be dangerous to my new little resident.

I started taking my temperature last night around 7pm and it was normal, it went as high as 99.4 during the night, and then was normal again this morning, and is now back around 99.1-99.4.  If i put the thermometer on the other side of under my tongue it's lower at 98.8. If I do a rectal temperature (with an oral thermometer) it is 99.1 (which I guess your supposed to subtract a degree)

I am not sure if my temperature normally fluctuates this much and I have just never noticed it, because who really takes there temperature every 25 minutes :)

I feel fine.  I don't feel hot, I don't feel like I have a temperature.  Obviously my skin is warm to the touch, but that is about it.

Should I be concerned?  Or is the only time you can actually cause fetal harm when your temperature is above 100 degrees?

I appreciate your time and expertise!
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would advise you that there is no cause for concern (at least not for the baby).  We encourage all moms-to-be to keep their temperature under 100.5 if at all possible.  From your post, it doesn't seem you went that high.  Just be sure you are well hydrated and next time, when you are plastering your son with sun screen, save a drop or two for yourself!
A Hat is a good idea too!
Good luck!
Dr B
I believe u should be ok I had gotten pretty bad sunburn on my back and shoulders it gone now finally and went to my Dr the other day for checkup for my pregnancy and heartbeat just fine so I believe u should be ok aswell
Hi doctor I am very confused and worried if you could possibly help at all. My last LMP was 1st may. I had an ultrasound today showing a gestational sac and a yolk sac but no foetal pole or heartbeat. The gestational sac is measuring 18mm which the nurse said would make me around 6wks 1 day today. She done a vaginal scan instead and said she can possibly see a slight pole which she is hoping is the start of baby. My concern is my periods are regular (28 DAYS) but the scan is worrying me. Is there any chance I could have only conceived 2/3 weeks ago with the sac measuring at this size?
sorry I have just realised I have totally posted this on a wrong post but if you could please give me any advice I would highly appreciate it.