Pregnancy Expert Forum
am i still pregnant after a surgical abortion

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

A few weeks ago i had a surgical abortion, i was 6 weeks when i had this procedure done. Before i did the procedure i took an at home urine test which was negitive but i knew i was pregnant. the clinic took another urine test which was Neg. so they took a blood test which was Pos.The dr.told me it was kind of early to do the abortion but she would do it anyway. After the abortion i was put on a birth control called sprintec. Now i have a huge concern! my stomach is growing and very noticable since im only 100 pounds. Im also feeling movement in my stomach everyday for the past few days. i spoke to a dr. who told me they could have missed the baby during the abortion so i took some more test which both urine and blood test came out NEG. ! i dont understand im 100 % sure the baby is still there but i need help and answerrs
Hi!
The member who said its just gas is probably correct.  Have you had any problems with constipation recently?  Sometimes after a procedure they give you pain medications and that can cause bowel problems.
It does sound to me like you were VERY early when they did the procedure, and it IS possible the miss the pregnancy that early--I have seen it happen.
If you were my patient, I would run another blood test.
Also, try Miralax if you need something for the bloat--it takes 2-3 days to work, but works quite nicely and is not harmful to your system.
Good luck!
Dr B
You wouldn't be able to feel movement this early, so it's probably just gas. Similarly, your belly won't really get much bigger by 8 - 9 weeks.

Since both the urine and blood tests came out negative and are generally very accurate, I would guess that you are bloated (possible side effect from the birth control pills?). Note that weight gain is also a common side effect of the pill.
u can't feel any baby movement at week 6 or so...not before week 18....

i would say it might be physilogcal...
i would say i u still feel that the baby is inside u go back and have them do a scan on u...there has been cases were drs have missed...be on the safe side....x
Its probably gas like everyone says...A good way for ppl not to get pregnant is birth control you should ask your doc for that too!! X
Just wanna help you out a bit!
A related discussion, pregnancy was started.
A related discussion, help was started.
A related discussion, Very sensitive and early breast leakage? ???? was started.