Pregnancy Expert Forum
pregnancy

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

pregnancy

i dont feel any fetal movement at 11 weeks pregnant is it too early?
Hi!
I'm sorry for the delay in response--was very ill for awhile

Yes!  11 weeks is way too early.  Most women don't feel their first baby until about 20 weeks.  Even at that late stage, it can be difficult to tell fetal movement apart from bowel gas, since they both feel similar.  When in doubt, call your provider and get a quick fetal heart check--I always do that for my nervous patients!  Had to do it for myself too!

Good luck!
Dr B
From everything I've read and my midwife has told me, it is way too early to detect fetal movement.  Your baby is moving (as you will see on ultrasounds) yet he is not big enough for you to actually feel it.  All of the books say most women feel it between 18-22 weeks and usually closer to 22 if this is your first pregnancy.  Also, my midwife said if your placenta is located in the front (an ultrasound tech can tell you) it could be even more difficult to detect fetal movement. Basically, the placenta being located in that way is akin to having a pillow between your baby and your ab muscles. I am 17 weeks and have yet to feel my baby kick; everyone has told me that's completely normal.  So don't fret. :)
everyone is different but if this is your first pregnancy that is definitely normal! i delivered my son at 20 weeks and i never felt him kick! however with my third i felt her kick for the first time at 14 weeks. i know it is so exciting, be patient (: one he/she starts moving around in there it will seem like they never take a break!