Pregnancy Expert Forum
pregnant 8 wks after 3rd c section

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

pregnant 8 wks after 3rd c section

I am terrified!! I'm 32 and have 3 children all born 18 months apart and by c section.  My baby is only 3 months old and i just took a pregnancy test and it was positive.  Although I would love nothing more than to have another child this was completley unplanned.  I'm afraid that its to soon and that the risk is to great.  Friends say i should terminate the pregnancy because I shouldnt risk leaving my 3 small children 3yr, 2yr, and 3 months without a mother.  All of my c sections were planned because my first pregnancy never progressed (only dialated 1 cm) and they thought he was big (8lbs 9 oz).  With my last 2 sections the dr said he used some sort of mesh to minimize scaring.  All 3 were low horizontal incisions.  What are the risks? Is this extreamly dangerous?  Should I consider terminating this pregnancy(this would be devistating to me)?  Has anyone had a 4th c-section so soon after the 3rd?  I don't know what to do.  With my last c-section I got really scarred, the baby was high up so they had to manuver her down and they ripped a blood vessel that caused me to bleed during surgery.  I didnt need a blood transfussion but while in recovery my blood pressure kept going up and down and my heart rate was irradic.  Everything turned out fine but I swore I wouldnt put myself through that again.  I know everyone must think I sound crazy but I really want this baby I just don't want to die and leave my babies without a mom. Please help me.
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would recommend that we start testing for fetal lung maturity at 37 weeks, and then deliver the baby as soon as she/he was ready.  I wouldn't want you to go into labor, or at least not for very long.  I would also have the OR set up for any possible problems, and might have a specialist on call to help if anything unexpected came up.  I might even have you bank a pint of your own blood during the pregnancy if you are not too anemic.
Finally I would STRONGLY encourage you to let me tie your tubes while we were in there!
I WOULD NOT recommend that you terminate, I think that it is extremely unlikely that any life threatening emergencies would arise that couldn't be properly handled by a good hospital and a prepared staff.  I WOULD NOT be thrilled if you weren't willing to do something fairly major about contraception afterwards though!
Good luck!
Dr B
i really dont know i know they recommend you wait a year to get pregannt after a section.you need to see your doc asap to see what they think.i really hope all goes well for you.good luck and keep us posted xx
I cant recommend anything but I would go with what's in your heart and if you dont trust that go to a dr..