Pregnancy Expert Forum
supposed to be 8 weeks, only measuring 6

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Hi.

I went to the doctor yesterday and had an ultrasound.  The first day of my last MP was Jan. 2 and I took a test on Jan. 30 with a positive result.  By my doctors calculations I should be at 8 weeks 5 days, but yesterday it measured 6 weeks 3 days.  They did not find a heartbeat.  They were concerned, so I had my blood taken yesterday for HCG results.  I have to go back in 10 days for another ultrasound.  I am feeling all of the symptoms of pregnancy.  This is my second pregnancy.  The first one was perfect,  I have a 2 year old daughter! :)  I am scared and worried! What do these results mean?  Have I already miscarried and my body doesnt realize it yet?  Why is the baby not growing?  Please help me understand, I hate this waiting game! I hope God gives my baby a heartbeat!

Thank you with all of my heart,
Liz
Hi!
Unfortunately, I get this question a lot!  I know how agonizing it must be to wait and wonder.  Your pregnancy hormone level can be repeated in two days and might be able to give you the information you want sooner.  If the level is doubling ( approx) every 48 hours the pregnancy is still healthy.  If not, something has gone wrong.
You may want to  ask your MD if you can do the test to find out sooner.

Either one of two things is going on, either the baby is earlier than you calculated--due to delayed ovulation for example, OR
Your pregnancy has stopped developing and you may have a miscarriage.
Obviously we here in this forum all hope for the former!
Good luck!

Dr B
Dear Liz,
I have endured 7 miscarriages and I know the pain and fear when things don't seem to be developing correctly.  My first question would be the obvious - are you absolutely certain the date of your last cycle?  If you are certain the date is correct, then there is still the possibility that the baby may 'catch up'.  I know this is cold comfort when you desperately want the child, but IF you do miscarry it is almost always because something was so wrong that the child could not have survived.  Believe me I'am NOT being trite - I can't tell you the tears I cried over my miscarried babies or how many times I asked God why?  But please know IF you do miscarry then God has a reason and you will heal.  I'am 41 and miraclously I' am pregnate (natural conception) and everything looks good.  Don't give up hope on this little one, but give the outcome to God and know that He is good.
Your in my prayers,
Anne