Pregnancy Expert Forum
withdraws while pregnant

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

withdraws while pregnant

I know this is bad but I am 31 weeks pregnant & I have been using hydrocodone for 2 years now. Its a daily thing & it has gotten worse everyday. I can't start my day without it. I quit cold turkey 3 days ago because I don't want my baby born addicted & I am having withdraws. I will not return to using after 3 days of being clean because my baby means more to me then ANY drug. I am scared after reading online that withdraws can cause me to have a miscariage or send the baby into shock. Is this true & how concerned do I need to be. Like I said I am on the 3rd day of being clean.
Hi!
If you were my patient, I woudl definitely want to help you get off the hydrocodone. I might choose an easier way to do it than "cold turkey" though.  There are some options such as Suboxone or Clonidine that can help ease the withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms.
If you have been through the first 3 days, you are likely through the worst of the problems though already.
The baby does go through withdrawl (withdrawal) with you also, and should be monitored.
Be certain that you substitute something else in your life when all is said and done, like AA or NA because otherwise you will be at high risk to return to using--and you are right--you are too important to that baby for that!
Good luck!
Dr B
I would be speaking with a doctor if you haven't already, so they can monitor baby.
Most definitely talk with your doctor. Addiction is a medical problem as well. I know what you are going through I have been clean for 5 years now. Don't be ashamed or embarrassed to ask family and friends for help you need a support system honey.
I am now on day 7 & I did it cold turkey & the doctor is monitoring me once a week. I was afraid I would go into labor & MUCH MORE afraid the baby was having withdraws. I feel great about myself & I can say NO to a pain killer easily. I made it through the hard days & I am now getting natural energy back. It was rough but I DID IT!!!!!
Your going to be a great mom! What your doing takes persistence and strength someday you'll tell your child and they will be super proud of your sacrifice. Good luck!
I agree you are through the hard part! As long as you still feel the baby move regularly & you don't start having contractions or bleeding you should be in the clear! It's better that you did it now than to let the baby be born addicted. I also agree that letting your doctor know so he can pay closer attention to the baby is your best bet! I've seen babies born addicted & it's horrible & heartbreaking! You did the best thing!  At 31 weeks you are not going to miscarry. If you delivered now your baby would survive 9 times out of 10. Though he or she would be in the NICU. Good luck!
Be strong keep thinking about your child and you will be fine I'm so proud of you for not being selfish in this  situation Getty help from Ur Dr they can give you the best advice for you and the baby :-)
I would highly suggest you talk to your Dr about starting subutex (form of suboxobe) just to get passed withdrawals and cravings. Or, just talk to them so they can take action to monitor the baby if your are set on cold turkey! Good luck!
Oh man I have been clean for so long now. Well not that long but to me it seems like forever. I am so proud of myself. I am now 38 weeks & 4 days and I am testing negative at every apt. I have finally got my natural energy back & feel so good. I did it cold turkey & I can't even tell I ever did pain medication. The doctors have even offered me pain medicine for all the braxton hicks & back pain & with a BIG smile I just turned it down & even refused tylenol. Thanks everyone, baby seems to be healthy by all the test they have been doing weekly but I wont know for sure until he is born. Thanks again.