baby born at 33 weeks
Hi, my wife recently gave birth to our first son at 33 weeks, 1 day. She had a previa and bleeding caused an emergency C section. Our boy was born at 5 lbs and had good scores however he was first put on CPAP and then a ventilator because of fluid in his lungs. When first born he cried and moved around but lately he seems to only sleep and not move much. He is now almost 3 days old. Is this normal for a 33 week baby to not move around much? They put in an umbilical arterial line to monitor his blood gases but so far they have not been able to wean him from the ventilator. We thought that since he was 5 lbs we would not have many problems but are searching for something positive. Anyone have similar problems with a 33 week birth? It is hard to gauge what is "normal" for a baby born at this age. Thanks.
Phillydad,  prayers for a very healthy baby.  ;D  What you're going through right now is so very hard.  

I don't think any of us on this board are going to be able to give you as much information as the doctors and nurses that are caring for your son.  This is all so variable.  

Can you find a doctor,  or a nurse,  who is very honest and open and who is willing to communicate with you?  Sometimes they try to sugar coat things,  or are unwilling to communicate anything,  but lots of docs and nurses are very clear and honest.  Find one of those,  and ask these questions.

Very best wishes.
My daughter was also born at 33 weeks and weighed 5 pounds 9 ounces, although she didnt get fluid in her lungs. The NICU explained it to me this way your baby is sick and needs a lot of rest. When your baby is born this early they sleep alot so they continue to grow outside the womb. My daughter had to come home on a heart monitor for about a month. When my daughter got to her due date she was a new baby she was awake more. simple things like just trying to breast feed exhaust them up to the due date.  You have a rough 7 weeks but things should get better for you. My daughter is a perfect, smart active two year old now. good luck with everything.