Pulmonary Hypertension Expert Forum
Recently diagnosed with Mild PH

Pulmonary hypertension is a condition associated with high blood pressure in the arteries that connect your heart with your lungs. It is a serious condition for which there are many emerging treatments but no definite cure. In this disease, the blood vessels that carry oxygen-poor blood from your heart to your lungs become hard and narrow, which causes your heart to work harder to pump the blood. This forum is a place to ask questions about Pulmonary Hypertension. Some examples are: What caused me to get pulmonary hypertension? How is pulmonary hypertension diagnosed? What treatment options are available?

IMPORTANT!! If you have a question that requires immediate medical attention, or if you think you may have an emergency situation, please call your doctor or 911 IMMEDIATELY!

Recently diagnosed with Mild PH

I am 54yr old female, obese and have sleep apnea.  I suffer from panic attacks and PVCs as well as occassional sinus tacycardia.

My heart has been checked six ways from Sunday with Echo's, Stress tests, EKGs, Holter monitor, loop monitors etc and everything has been normal.  I have low BP and pulse and great cholesterol and blood glucose #s.

I just had an echo and it said I had EF 55-60%, Mild diastolic noncompliance, Mild pulmonary hypertension, pulmonary artery pressure 44mmHg and Mild tricuspid regurgitation. I had an echo two years ago and my EF was 60-65% , pressure 31mmHg and trace tricuspid regurgitation.  

My Dr. did not seem overly concerned and is having me followup with my Cardiologist.  She said I would probably need to take medication but that there is no reason that I cannot live a normal life expectancy saying this is not going to kill me.  I would like to believe that but with everything I am reading it sounds like PH is a death sentence.

Am I over reacting?  I feel like I need to get my affairs in order.  Also in reading it says that 44 would be Moderate not mild.  Help!
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I would completely ignore the PA pressures by echo.  They are notoriously unreliable. Its not entirely clear to me why you are having all of these tests done.

I would suggest you do everything you can to lose some weight, maintain compliance with your CPAP at night to treat your sleep apnea, and try to stay active.  You should continue to see your PCP (and cardiologist if needed) for routine check-ups.  And finally, and most importantly, try to relax, stay away from the scary world of the internet (except this site of course!), and know that there is nothing that you have told me about pulmonary hypertension that has me concerned.

Wishing you all the best.

Dr. Rich
Also I want to say that I am post menopausal, have no other co-morbidities.  My cholesterol and blood glucose is great.  I have low bp and pulse and after strenuous activity my HR goes back to normal within a minute or so.