Radiology Expert Forum
Are bright spots on CSPINE MRI normal?

Welcome to the Radiology Forum! Questions in this forum are being answered by medical professionals. Topics covered in this forum include Breast Imaging, CT/CAT Scan, Mammography, MRI, Nuclear Medicine, Radiation Therapy, Ultrasound and X-rays.

Are bright spots on CSPINE MRI normal?

My neurologist was checking for Chiari malformation and myelopathy. I can't get back in to see my doctor for several weeks so I was looking through the images they gave me on the disk. I can't tell anything really but these bright spots popped out to me. Its on the cspine (he also ordered a brain mri) and I think its the upper cervical spine view or something? I uploaded the images, removing my personal information of course. Can anyone help? I'm a little concerned. I have quite a few symptoms but I don't know if that would be relevant for reading the mri? Headaches, memory problems, numbness, I forget words a lot, doctor said my reflexes were brisk....I fall/trip a lot....I think thats the main things. Anyways I appreciate any help. Here are the images:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42931537@N07/5013660439
http://www.flickr.com/photos/42931537@N07/5014266734
Dear tjs68,

It is always great to see a proactive patient, especially one with tech savvy to view images yourself.  Your imaging study was most likely reviewed by a board-certified radiologist and a formal report was generated and all concerning abnormalities will most likely be relayed in the official report.  

It can take a bit of time to analyze numerous images to really identify what those bright spots may be.  As a result, I can only offer a few possibilities in general for things in the neck that are round and bright on some sequences for MRI--this is not to say those are what you are seeing.  In general, round structures on MRI in the soft tissues include but not limited to lymph nodes, blood vessels seen in cross section, benign lesions, as well as malignant lesions.  As a result, I suggest you discuss your MRI with your doctor specifically regarding imaging findings.

Hope this helps!
One thing to also add... the MRI looks like a high quality imaging study and so it would be very likely that the radiologist who is very qualified to read your images, will comment on these findings if they are related to your symptoms or are concerning.

Best wishes!
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. So if the radiologist doesn't comment on the spots then I guess they were nothing to worry about then. :)

By some miracle I was able to move up my appointment so I wont have to wait quite as long to get the results.

Thanks again!

Thanks again!