Radiology Expert Forum
Back pain and MRI results

Welcome to the Radiology Forum! Questions in this forum are being answered by medical professionals. Topics covered in this forum include Breast Imaging, CT/CAT Scan, Mammography, MRI, Nuclear Medicine, Radiation Therapy, Ultrasound and X-rays.

Back pain and MRI results

Hi, I am a 38yr old woman, I have suffered from Fibromyalgia for past 13yrs.
For the last 18months I have suffered from severe lower back/right buttock pain made worse withany movement for more that a few minutes or sitting for more than 10 minutes.
I have had X-rays, MRI and SPECT scans.
I have an extra peice of bone at the bottom of my spine on the left side, pain is on the right.
I had 1 injection in the SI joint which only releived pain for 3 weeks.
I had blood test which showed signs of infection through an increase in the white blood cells (if I remember correctly)
My MRI results say I have some facet joint athrology.
My SPECT scan results say the following:
L4-5 and SI joint degeneration.
Increased tracer uptake on the knees
Increased tracer uptake on the right sided L4-5 joints
There is a preservation of signal, symmetry and volume within the hip girdle and proximal thigh musculature, other than mild signal increase in the gluteus medius tendons bilaterally and trochanteric bursae

Can anyone give an idea of what is going on with me!!!! The pain is draining and restricting me more and more.
I work, am a mother and wife and care for my mother who is disabled. I need to be healthy and fit, but this pain is preventing me from doing excercise to decrease my weight which I beleive would help.
Thanks for taking the time to read this and in antipation of your advice.
Sorry to hear about your condition.  This sounds like a complex problem needing special coordinated care from a medical team, and it'd be unfair to try to answer it in this forum.
Thank your leaving a comment but can you advise at all with regards to the SPECT scan results.
What does it mean by mild signal increase etc.....
The Bone Scan/SPECT results are fairly standard degenerative changes that we often describe on many adults. They don't raise any red flags to me, in general.
Thank you, that reassuring.
Does any of it ring alarm bells with you as when I do my own research I keep eventually ending up with things like Lukemia!!!
Imagine my doctors would have been all over it if it was possibly that serious. What do you think?