Radiology Expert Forum
questions about breast u/s

Welcome to the Radiology Forum! Questions in this forum are being answered by medical professionals. Topics covered in this forum include Breast Imaging, CT/CAT Scan, Mammography, MRI, Nuclear Medicine, Radiation Therapy, Ultrasound and X-rays.

questions about breast u/s

So, a few months ago, I found a lump in my left breast - finally went to the doc and he ordered an u/s.  I got the results last week. Statistically, I know most lumps found are benign, but my report confused me a little.  I tried to ask my doctor questions, but he just told me not to worry about it and I will have another u/s in 6 months

So my report says that I actually have 2 lumps (1 i couldn't feel).  The lump I could feel measures .6 x .5 cm.  itis described as a semi-discrete isoechoic nodule.  There is no sound attenuation and it is homogeneous.  The radiologist wrote on the report that it has a benign appearance.  However, my BIRADS rating was 3....which apparently means "probably benign."  

My question is - 1.) what does isoechoic mean?  I've heard different things..i've heard that it means the tissue is normal and then i heard that it's means the only way to tell if it's benign or malignant is to watch for changes in size, shape or texture.  and if it has a benign appearance, why didn't i have a BIRADS score of 2?  

My doctor was pretty sure it was benign...i am not able to speak with the radiologist about it though.  My doctor just says to wait and see in 6 months.  Again, i know the statistics and i know it's 98% likely to be benign, but with something like this, i find it difficult to wait 6 months.  Any additional information is appreciates.  Perhaps i should get a second opinion?

Thanks!
Isoechoic just means same echogenicity. It's a technical term and has to be interpreted with experience on a case by case basis. BIRADS 2 means definitely benign. By convention you have a new nodule because it wasn't felt before, and thus we call that BIRADS 3: Probably Benign and recommend 2-3 year followup every six months. Nothing to worry about, it's just how we deal with something like this.
Thanks for the clarification - that eases my mind quite a bit!