Salivary Glands
A month ago I had mindlessly "overdosed" on chewable pills that promote saliva flow and dental health through xylitol. It is all natural. Suddenly my left cheek and side of neck started swelling up like a bad case of mumps. I never had mumps before but it sure was the salivary glands in front of my ears that were acting up. For two weeks I had to avoid even thinking of food and definitely avoid citric foods to prevent the worst. But the condition still persists after 4 weeks, even if less swelling occurs.

A coworker had a swollen face during the same time but I do believe something is blocking my left salivary ducts. Does anyone have experience with this? My physician has a wait-and-see approach. I just wonder if I should think in terms of blockage or infection.
Thanks in advance.
How are you? What other symptoms are present and what initial diagnostic tests were done? To rule out obstruction, infection as well as other salivary disorders such as calculi or duct stenosis, additional diagnostic tests may need to be done. This includes imaging studies and blood tests.  If it persists, a referral to a specialist or ENT may help. Take care and do keep us posted.
Dear Dr. Santos,

Thank you for your quick reply and sorry for my delayed response.
The physician only visually inspected my neck, jaw and cheeks to determine there was no acute case of mumps. I am told blood test can be done in combination with my upcoming physical in the summer. Reading your comment, it looks like I should be more pushy about tests.

The condition has not improved 100% but is controllable by avoiding acidic foods for now. At my work place, for months people have had bad respiratory infections. This co-incides with the discovery of a large mouse infestation in the building. Since my dad once almost passed away from the Hantavirus, I am always taking these little pests into account as well...

If you don`t mind, I will keep you posted with test results as soon as I can push for an appointment. Thank you for your great advice.
Just a quick note: all is well now. The symptoms (swelling, dry mouth) took two months to fully disappear. I never had a chance to get testing done. All I know is that the whole family of the coworker with the same swollen face symptoms had been sick prior to this. The coworker and I had been sharing food. Nobody was diagnosed with mumps but even if it was just a common cold, it must have taken a liking to those salivary glands...

Thanks again.