Rare Diseases Community
swimming- Amoeba

This patient support community is for discussions relating to rare diseases and disorders. Some example include: Aarskog syndrome, Acoustic Neuroma, Angelman Syndrome, Behcet Syndrome, Bell’s Palsy, Canavan Disease, Carbon Baby Syndrome, Charcot Marie Tooth Disease, Chromosome Monosomy Disorders, Chromosome Trisomy Disorders, Devic's Disease, Dystonia, Ewing’s Sarcoma, Fragile X Syndrome, Immune Thrombocytopenia, Kawasaki Syndrome,Maple Syrup Urine Disease, Mastocytosis, McCune Albright syndrome, Pachygyria, Polycystic Kidney Disease, Prader-Willi Syndrome, Reiter’s Syndrome, Sickle cell anemia, Sturge-Weber syndrome, Trisomy Disorders, Usher Syndrome, Xanthinuria, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.

swimming- Amoeba

I went swimming 5 days ago in a lake, i dont think any water went up my nose, but i did swallow/choke on some 2 or 3 times. I wasnt really worried until i saw the news, I live in Texas, so the lake water was warm. I thought i was in the clear until one article said it can take up to 12 days for it to kill you.
Maybe I am paranoid, but i would rather be paranoid then die in a couple of days, since you almost never know you have it until it is too late, and there has only been one successful cure for it. Should i pay to go to the Doctor just in case, or should i wait and see if i get any of the symtoms (symptoms)? What are the symtoms (symptoms)? Any advice would help, Thanks
I am 14 by the way, and i know at least 2 out of the 3 people who died were under 18, i dont know if there was a reason for that, or if it was just chance, but i thought i would mention it.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? You may be referring to Naegleria fowleri infection, a single-cell, microscopic organism found in such freshwater bodies as lakes, rivers, hot springs and, occasionally, in neglected, unchlorinated swimming pools. This can invade and attack the human nervous system may cause death. The initial symptoms include, but are not limited to, changes in taste and smell, headache, fever, nausea, vomiting, and stiff neck. Secondary symptoms include confusion, hallucinations, lack of attention, ataxia, and seizures. After the start of symptoms, the disease progresses rapidly over 3 to 7 days. Check with your doctor if you have these symptoms and to ease any anxiety. Take care and do keep us posted.