Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
clavical repair or replacement

Questions in the Reconstructive Surgery Forum are being answered by Dr. Archibald Sanford Miller III, MD,FACS, the Associate Professor at the University of Oklahoma School of Medicine.

clavical repair or replacement

I have a tumor on my clavicle very close to the end where the clavicle connects to the chest. My doctor sent me for a bone scan, CAT scan, X-Ray and PET scan. Based on the results of the PET scan he said it was cancer. He wants to remove my whole clavicle and when I asked if there was a way to cut off just the part with the tumor and somehow repair the rest of it he said no.

I've looked online and have seen many treatments for broken clavicles and was wondering if any of these methods could be used in my case. Is there anyway to simply cut off the tumor and keep the rest of my clavicle with some type of repair?
Your surgeon has given you very good advice. I have assisted in many of these procedures, and one should remove the bone that contains the cancerous cells. It is even possible that the tumor has spread into the sternum and it may require removal of that bone also. It is very impoprtant you heed this advice, and try to expedite your care. If you have concerns, seek a second opinion with a thoracic surgeon, but do this in a timely fashion.You do have a serious problem that needs to be addressed. Respectfully,

arch s miller ms md facs
I found this link online and it seems to be the closest thing to the problem I have. Would this be a possible alternative to removing my entire clavicle?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1325572
I would defintely follow your surgeons advice and have the whole bone removed. You don't want to only take out some of the bone and have a much higher risk of the cancer coming back. It's probably just best to get rid of the bone containing the cancer cells. I'm sure it's possible to do the alternative route that you were looking into, but I wouldn't risk it if I were you. Second opinions are always helpful, so you can go to at least another surgeon. But do it soon, as you want to get the treatment done soon. good luck.