Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
flexor tendon and median nerve damage

Questions in the Reconstructive Surgery Forum are being answered by Dr. Archibald Sanford Miller III, MD,FACS, the Associate Professor at the University of Oklahoma School of Medicine.

flexor tendon and median nerve damage

I have flexor tendon and median nerve damage in my left hand do to a severe injury to my wrist, I want to know if you have any advise for me that  may help me out. this happened about 3 months ago and I can't feel half my ring finger, all my middle and index fingers and half my thumb, also I cant move my index finger. I have gone to a surgeon and was told I need to have surgery done. the thing is I am having a hard time getting coverage for the surgery, My question to you is...can the longer it takes to receive surgery effect how successful it will be? What are the chances of me getting all feeling and movement back in my hand and are there any exercises I can do to  somewhat help relieve the pain  and what should I avoid doing so I don't do any further damage? One more thing. I have hepatitis C and they have prescribed hydrocodone/apap 5/500 for the pain. I know acetaminophen is not good for my liver is there any other medication that includes the narcotic pain reliever that will not do damage to my liver?

Thank you,
John H

Basically, all pain relievers are processed through the liver. The symptoms you describe are exactly those that accompany the nerve damage. The longer you wait, the less chance you will have at a successful reconstruction as the nerve fibers themselves regress and eventually, there are no fibers left to reconnect. So, the sooner the better.

arch s miller ms md facs
What is the average time it takes for nerve fibers to fully regress? And thank you so much for getting back to me i appreciate it.
   J.Hensley
The nerves immediately start to atrophy both backwards and forwards. The disconnect causes the fibers to lose their integrity and undergo 'wallerian degeneration". The key is that the surrounding sheath and support fibers also regress, providing no track to regrow the nerves to the final destination. So, one should get the surgery done within months .

arc miller ms md facs
yes the doc told me he might have to do a nerve graght or something like that. is that how they fix it? you have been really helpful and i am thankfull for everything im glad i ran into you on here. If they cant restore the nerve can they atleast fix it so it does not hurt anymore? and today i switched to vicoprofin instead of vicodin, thats better for my liver correct? Thanks agn