Relationships Community
Too Attached To People

This patient support community is for discussions relating to relationships, abstinence, arousal problems, birth control, cohabitation, commitment, communication, couples counseling, desire, sexual technique, and sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).

Too Attached To People

I think I have a problem with being too attached to people. It's not just my parents, it's other people too. I've had a strong sense of attachment to two different high school seniors when I was in 8th grade (both females), and now I have it towards two different teachers now that I am a senior in high school (both these teachers are females as well). At some point, with all four of these women, I have shared a thought or a deep conversation with them about myself, which has made me feel close to them. I also have an incredibly strong emotional connection to my mom, which may seem excessive to most people. Normal kids are not as physically attached to their parents at age 18. I will cling to my mom in public and I don't even care. It seems like at all times I am wanting expression of love from these women. I want them to say how much they care for me and I want them to give me a hug. If they don't then when I am away from them I feel sad and I start to panic. I will often think I did something wrong when I was around them. I don't know what is wrong with me, but this is not normal! Men seems kind of different for me. With my dad, we are close, but I get irritated with him (for no reason) and often push him away. In past relationships I have had, I have always been the one to end them. I come up with dumb reasons to dump them, but it always seems like I am drawn to men. Many times I wont even care if there are feelings in the relationship, I just want the physical stuff. I feel like it may be because I am not getting the physical love from women, so men are the next best. I know men will give me that just because they are teenage boys (this makes me feel guilty because I know I'm using them). Another thing is, it may sound like I'm a lesbian or something, but I am not. I'm totally against it. Anyways, I need help! Does anyone know anything about this?
Hi there.  Well, do you think you suffer from insecurity to the point that attaching to someone else is the only way you feel 'okay'?  Have you considered talking to a psychologist about this?  I think it could help you.  good luck
I really think it would be a great idea for you to talk to a psychologist about this, or maybe even your physician. You just need a bit of coaching right now dear, it's not a big deal to talk to a person for a few hours about healthy relationships right? We bring our car in for a tune up, we have a furnace man come in for a look, why not a psychologist. It's probably the best $$ you'll spend. Maybe your mom could help you to find someone? I sure wouldn't think twice about it. You can even access a psychologist on line if you wish.  Please don't attach a stigma on talking to a person who has studied psychology for goodness sake.  If only every family had a psychologist to bring these small concerns to, we'd all be in better shape wouldn't we? Good luck honey. It's not the worst thing in the world, and I just know that you can find some help for this. Okay? I'm here if you ever want to talk dear. Liz