Respiratory Disorders Community
15month old son- How long do I keep him on Pulmicort and Xopenex
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

15month old son- How long do I keep him on Pulmicort and Xopenex

My son has had a tough winter. 1 week in hospital for RSV, then 3 ER visits for labored breathing, then 1 week in hospital with Pneumonia. It's been a month since the Pneumonia and I've been consistent with the Pulmicort (2 x's a day) & Xopenex (3x's a day) and he seems to be 100%. Drs have labeled him as someone with RAD- Reactive Airway Disease, meaning that a simple cold can turn into something worse for him, like Pneumonia.  My question is, how long do I continue doing the treatments if he is now okt? Do I continue as a preventive measure until winter is over in order to avoid another respiratory problem? Anyone know?
Related Discussions
90270_tn?1199338069
I would continue his treatment for as long as his doctor recommends. The pulmicort is probably keeping his airways less irritated and is meant to be as a preventative. The Xopenex is a quick acting broncodilator, keeps his airways open. Your son has been through a very rough winter it seems, I can understand why your doctor errs on the side of caution. Even though he seems okay now, a cold could put him back at square one...My son was much like this as well. He does have asthma, was very sick as a toddler. Even when he had good stretches, his doctor emphasized daily nebs and preventative medication to keep his airways in the best shape possible to weather any colds without becoming very sick.
Sunny
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Respiratory Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank