Respiratory Disorders Community
Bacterial pneumonia... could I have sepsis?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

3 days ago I was Dx'd with pneumonia although symptoms were present at least 3 days prior to that. Tests were conducted and the X-ray showed it was in one lung.

The next day, I felt it had spread to the other lung. Later that day my entire body swelled up and I went to the ER. They gave me a shot of Benadryl and it went down... they said it was an allergic reaction, perhaps to Advil. I am quite sure it wasn't the Advil, as I've been taking Advil for years. Other meds I'm on are Zoloft, Tylenol 3 and Azithromycin.

Entire-body swelling is not a typical allergic reaction to medication. It is, however, the first stage of sepsis (called SIRS) which I am at increased risk of.

In addition, I've been having small bruise-like spots on my wrist, hands, feet etc. that will cause a faint line to ascend from them when you touch them. They faded after like 12 hours and I told the doctor yesterday.. he said it was hives and that the lines were self-inflicted scratches. That is wrong; anyone with half a brain-cell can differentiate between a hive and a bruise. More of those have formed this morning.

I want a second opinion. Should I trust those docs, and what should I do?
It is common for pnuemonia (pneumonia) to spread to the other lung, pnuemonia (pneumonia) is like a glass of water(if you lay the glass down is flows on one side, or like when you nose is stuffy and you lay on the other side and then it gets stuffy the same thing happens. Sometimes a person doesnt get all the oxygen that they need when they have pnuemonia (pneumonia) this can cuase the skin to look different. Also sometimes when you have an allergic reaction, you skin can become"mottled" this looks like patchy brusing.  It is from blood vessel changes due to the swelling as a result of an allergic reaction.  Sepsis is very serious, this cant be mistaken, you would not feel like opening your eyes if you were septic.  Someone who has this is are usually a person that has undergone sugery of some type.  It is where your blood is sick.  I understand your questioning about the disease but you are already on antibiotics, this should not be an issue.  Im not a MD but... I am a Respiratory Therapist and have been in the field +10 years. I hope I was able to help.  Drinking plenty of water is key to getting over pneumonia.  You are probably running a fever and then this dehydrates you, in return making those secrections in your lungs more thick and hard to break up.  Water is the best thing to thin those secretions! Hope you feel better soon!