Respiratory Disorders Community
Bad odor from mouth and nose

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Bad odor from mouth and nose

Hello I have the poop smell coming from my mouth & nose. I have been to see my dentist and was told nothing is wrong. I have had this issue for about 3 years now & had changed dentists because I was convinced he didn't know what he was talking about. I have been to another dentist 2 weeks ago with the same results. I have changed my PCP also in hopes that I can get some results,. As I changed my PCP because she was prescribing $100.00 prescriptions(copay with pretty ok insurance) that didn't work & it was for acid reflux which I don't think I have. She has also run several blood test to check on kidneys & liver all is well. Anyway I have an appointment in a few weeks with the new PCP hoping for a coarse of action or better a solution. I am 35 years old female & has been hiding in the house since,,,thank G-D I work from home. I have the co-worker issue when I do show up for work. In the meantime has anyone had any updates or great results that may help please extremely exhausted.

This discussion is related to Very Bad Odor from Mouth and Nose.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Bad odor from the mouth can be due to viral infections or due to food intolerance like lactose. It could also be due to food staying for longer time in the stomach like gastroparesis or due to an infection with giardiasis.  GERD (Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease), where the acid contents of the stomach come up into the esophagus, could also cause bad breath.  It sometimes occurs in kidney diseases, when it is described as urinous or fishy breath. If you perceive this breath after exercise, it could most probably be due to sweat. It is sometimes caused by improper oral hygiene, gum and tooth disorders and certain medications. Blood tests will help detect infections, besides stool examination which will reveal fat malabsorption.  Bacterial overgrowth is tested with a breath test. Please discuss these issues with your primary care physician when you happen to meet him.  In the meantime you can try warm salt water gargles and betadine mouthwashes. Try to include yogurt in your diet as it is a probiotic which replaces lactobacillus acidophillus (good bacteria) that helps with digestion.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.