Respiratory Disorders Community
Can the subconscious take over the breathing?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

I suffer from Anxiety and i worry about my breathing alot. I know our unconscious side of the brain deals with the breathing, but i wondered if the brain could 're-programme' its self into letting the subconcious take over.  So we have to remember to breathe in and out all the time. I do concentrate on my breathing and i often think that if i stop thinking about it then i will stop breathing... i know it sounds crazy but i wanted some reassurance.
Teresa
You can't just stop breathing, unless you consciously want to! I've heard of a lot of weird anxiety problems before, but never this ...
I've had anxiety problems too, and it's bad for you. I, for one, got over it really quick, so stop worrying over nothing, and stop trying to control your breathing, you'll often hyperventilate doing so!