Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Chronic Constant Dry Cough

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Chronic Constant Dry Cough

I'm really hoping someone can help!  At Christmas I caught a cold.  A month later, my nose continually got stuffed up at night when I lied down.  A few years ago, I had a similar problem with a chronic cold (couldn't taste or breathe all day) and a tickly persistent cough.  After 8 months an ENT said that my nasal passage had inflamation (inflammation) and prescribed nasonex.  This helped right away and the congestion and cough went away. Thus, when the congestion lingered this time (thick yellow mucos when I blowed my nose), I called my family doctor to get a prescription for nasonex.  This helped my nose but I then got a persistent tickly cough that was worse at night.

Now a month and a half later, the cough and tickles occur all the time.  It's mostly dry, but sometimes in the morning it has phlem.  I was again sent to an ENT who wasn't sure what was wrong and prescribed nasonex, a salt water rinse and an acid reflex drug.  After a few weeks of use, I'm feeling NO relief, and in fact, the cough is worse.  Furthermore, last weekend I caught a nose cold from my 9 month old son, which also gave me the congestion back.  

Anyone know what could be wrong or what to do?  I'm having trouble functioning since I just break out into coughing spasms.  Please Help!
When symptoms come on and off as you have described, there is usually an underlying problem.  Two of the more common possibilities are allergy and a chronic sinus infection.  Both of these can present in the same way and can cause exactly the types of problems you have experienced.  You may need a CT of the sinuses to determine if the problems are related to the sinuses.  A physical examination cannot make this diagnosis.  If this is not the source of the problem, a visit to a board certified allergist might help.
Try taking something to dry up the mucous like Sudafed. If the Sudafed keeps you awake at night (it does with me) take it with Benadryl, or Chlortrimaton. All of these are available over th counter, and in generic forms. They should be perfectly safe with Nasonex, but you can always ask the pharmacist if you want peace of mind. Good luck. I know how you feel.
I mean to take the Benadryl OR Chlortrimaton in addition to the Sudafed.
I just went to an ENT doctor this week for the same thing -- only I've had this nagging dry cough for a couple of years or so.  It's very annoying! Last month I started coughing up phelm and decided enough is enough.  I have had a lifelong history of sinus infections, strep, bronchitis, laryngitis, etc. and I'm 46 y/o.

My ENT doc said I have "cryptic tonsillitis" which means I have crevises in/on my tonsils which collect food debris, etc. When food gets caught in the crypts, it mixes with the mucos in my tonsils and putrifies in there. Eventually, they form little "stink balls" called tonsilliths (Google it) and come flying out when I cough. I've also used Q-tips to get them off my tonsils.  They STINK really bad and are gross.  

The doc ordered a tonsillectomy next month to get rid of these nasty tonsils, which is most likely the source of all my upper respiratory problems and bad breath (at times). He also checked my hearing because I've notice a slight hearing impairment. This could be caused by an enlarged tonsil, which is the one where most of these stink balls form.  Yuck!

I'm so not looking forward to the surgery but do look forward to losing the cough & associated infections.  He prescribed Nexium as well because some folks (like me) have some acid reflux, which will cause you to cough with production.

It may be time for you to see a specialist.  That would be my suggestion.  Wishing you well & hoping you find the source of your cough.  Good day.
fredschic
i think nasonx can have cough as a side effect
I've had a dry cough for a couple of months but before a couple of years have asthma had sinses surgery lost the asthma for about a year still coughing tryed all meedicines and cough still does not go away cough getting so bad can't sleep all night no more. The cough is so bad feel like it is cutting my air supply chest is also sore. Hope someone can help me and everyone else with this problem.
i have had a mild chronic dry cough since for over 30 years.  this past 6 months, now 64 yrs old, the cough has increased in frequency and intensity.  dr. gave me nexium but did not get rid of cough.  i feel like it is wearing me out.  i need a cough syrup with codeine last wk so i cld get some sleep.  any help is appreciated.
Good Morning Everyone!

My boyfriend has a very chronic cough, he starts coughing and sometimes he would through up all that he has eaten, he gets a runing nose, and sometimes the cough wont let him sleep, could it be alergies (allergies)? what can I give him? he is tired and sometimes his body hurts, like he is getting a fever!
I have a constant dry cough and am currently on the following meds.  Methotextrate x 8pills once a week, Plaquinil 2x daily, folic acid 1x daily,Norvasc 1x daily,Levoxil 1 2.5mg daily, Hydrocholothiazide x1 daily.  I do not have a stuffy nose nor do I produce anything when I cough.  The cough comes on and sometimes I am lightheaded afterwards. Sometimes I don't have a warning I am going to cough like a tickle or anything it just comes.