Respiratory Disorders Community
Common Cold

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Common Cold

I have COPD.  I caught a mild cold around thanksgiving.  I secreted small amounts of clear mucous for about a week.  I didn't cough regularly, but I did cough to clear my throat for a few days.  I had a very mild sore throat for about a day.  I never secreted any mucous with any infection.  So my question is whether or not a mild cold like I have described would cause more loss of lung function?  Some of the people on my COPD web site are of the opinion that any cold whatsoever causes more lung damage.  Others on the web site do not agree.  Could you please give me your medical opinion?
I think if you have COPD that is a issue all by itself, the common cold could make this seem like your having more trouble breathing, and with secretions, your airway isnt as clear as usual, but even someone without COPD, feels like crap when they have a cold.  This doesnt effect their lung function and it doesnt your either.  It might take a COPD pt longer to recover from most common colds, but after you knock it your lungs shouldnt be any worse than they were vefore you got the cold.
Avatar n tn
Thnk you for your response