Respiratory Disorders Community
Coughing for 7 weeks now

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Coughing for 7 weeks now

I started  to cough in the  end  of June.  When I was still sick three weeks later I got  a prescription for Keflex.  10 days later I was even sicker, now coughing up a thick oatmeal like yellow and green substance, I can't really call it mucus because it was so thick.  I went to the Dr. and he ordered a chest xray, which came out negative for pneumonia, and he gave me Avelox to take for 10 days.  I went back to him feeling only a LITTLE bit better, and still coughing (choking) up thick yellowy white stuff.  He gave me a z pack AND a 10 day prescription for Augmentin to take.  I still feel like I can't get enough air, and I am so tired  after  doing to littlest things.  I sleep 12 hours a night, and nap throughout the day.  He offered  to put me out of work when I was sent for the xray, but I am off for the summer anyways.  I just don't understand why I am still so sick.  Any suggestions?  My mother  is yelling at me to go to a specialist, and not just my primary care doctor.  I have also been taking a prescription Cheratussin, albuterol inhaler, and my doctor said to  take mucinex to help thin the stuff in my lungs.  What does anyone suggest?
Tags: Coughing, Lung