Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Crackling in Throat

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Crackling in Throat

This is my third question so far so thanks to all who have answered before...

My health problems continue and I just want a few more questions answered: 34yo Male, FEV1 108.1% FVC 103.5% FVCFEV1 86.44 DCLO 118.00 MMEF75/25 76, CT Normal, Bronchoscopy + Biopsy Normal, ECG Normal, CXR Normal, ex social smoker (less than a pack and a half a week) for 17yrs. Previous history of mild asthma, hospitalised once as a child..

Some questions:

1. I have a crackling in my throat, like very small bubbles of air breaking, this has been increasing in frequency over the last month and I have developed a bit of a rasp while talking, what could this be.

2. I'm finding I'm getting SOB in bed and cannot sleep lying down, its like I cannot exhale fully, very worrying!!

3. Finding I'm heating up at the same time I get feeling I cannot exhale fully, my hands, feet and legs are mainly affected.

4. Have a hacking dry cough ( 2 or 3 of them) in morning with little or no sputum.

5. Feelings throughout the day that I'm not exhaling fully...

Im on Singulair and a preventer (Becotide) steroid inhaler at present which do not seem to be controlling sympthoms. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing these sympthoms apart from stress....particularly the crackles.

Is it possible in air trapping the feel the air releasing in your throat?? At this stage I'm still concerned I have developed mild emphysema / small airways disease which is not showing on PFT or CT... Pulmo says all is clear and I need to see a shrink...

Rgds,

C.

You will need to be examined by an ENT.  Then possibly this specialist can tell you the cause of the crackling in your throat that is like very small bubbles of air breaking.  Generally air trapping can cause over inflation of the air sacs of the lungs.  This would not be felt as air releasing in your throat.

As stated previously your pulmonary function tests (PFTs) are normal.  Your shortness of breath goes away when you move around.  This eliminates almost all lung problems as a possibility, including emphysema.  However it is still possible that a sleep problem could be causing your shortness of breath in bed and keeping you from being able to sleep lying down.

Sleep apnea is when breathing stops temporarily, for up to a minute at a time, during sleep.  This may happen several hundred times a night.  This can cause you to feel sleepy during the day.  It is possible for the person to be aware of this because they wake themselves up gasping for air.  It is more common that the spouse notices first.  Snoring is what often alerts people to the problem.  However not everyone snores.

A sleep study is done to identify the nature of your problem while you sleep.  During a sleep study your breathing, heart rate, oxygen level, eye movement and brain waves are monitored while you sleep in a sleep lab.  A sleep lab is a specialized unit staffed by a team of health care providers and other specialists who have expertise in the study and treatment of sleep disorders.  Please check with your doctor to see if a sleep study is needed or if this is something else.

Diaphragmatic breathing can help you move more air in and out of your lungs.  This is the most efficient way to breathe and may improve your shortness of breath and exhaling more fully.  Learning this technique will help you to breathe slowly, regularly, gently, and smoothly all of the time.  Here are the instructions:
i certainly hope you find an answer to the question about the crackling noise in the throat (+ laryngitis).  i have the same problem; have seen several specialists and have no answers, though the doctors can also hear the sound.  i am unable to find anything in medical references or on the net...
A related discussion, What is the crinkling noise in my throat when i was up? was started.