Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Cure for constant Post Nasal Drip and throat clearing

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

I have the constant Post Nasal Drip and throat clearing as a result of it.  This has bothered me for about eighteen years and just keeps getting worse.  Being a stand up comedian, this really hampers my profession.

On December 8,2005 I was doing a show in Virgina and saw a local doctor there.  She gave me Tussionex and within the hour of the first dosage the drainage stopped.  The next week was wonderful as I was even able to cough up stuff for the first time in a long time.

I have tried the 8 mg dosage of Chlorpheniramine but it doesn't work. I have taken hydrocodone before with dental problems and I know that after taking it I get the itch in the nose for about five minutes.

I am convinced that this is a cure and that the Chlorpheniramine somehow bonds to the hydrocodone to be most affective.  Problem is ofcourse that it is a narcotic and no doctor will give that on a daily bases for the rest of my life.

Are there any other drugs that could possibly bond with the Chlorpheniramine and take it right to the nasal area?

I have done all the alergy (allergy) testing three times.  Head xray, Barium swallow, and all the prescription sprays, decongestants and antihistamines.  Nothing has ever worked but this.

Steve
I know of no evidence that chlorpheniramine bonds with hydrocodone.  I do not know of any way to explain the drainage stopping within an hour of when you took the first dose of Tussionex
You did not say what the head x-ray revealed, however, if you have chronic sinusitis, you ought to try and find the cause.
My son had chronic sinusitis and our regular doctors kept treating him with antibiotics.  About the time they referred him to a specialist, I had tracked down a doctor Norton Fishman (M.D.)who practices complimentary medicine, now located in Bethesda, Maryland.
Although the ear, nose, throat specialist's (Dr. Lisk) skin pricks for allergies were negative, the other doctor did a blood test and stool test which revealed six food allergies and an intestinal yeast overgrowth.  Five of the food allergies were protein, including antibodies to egg whites.  The non-protein allergy was chocolate.
He was also very low on several minerals. Some were two deviations below normal, including zinc which is very important for the immune system and needs to be balanced with copper.
He was missing two necessary bacterial flora, with something else on a pathogenic level.
This type of yeast overgrowth is related to sinus infections.
For the yeast overgrowth, Dr. Fishman treated him with a prescriptive drug, an over the counter remedy (as recommended by the lab) and many nutritional supplements, not an antibiotic.
Dr. Lisk had a cat scan done, which showed all of my son's sinus cavity was infected.  Dr. Lisk did do surgery for him.
He got well!
hi i went through a similar process. doctors always prescribed antihistamine and steroid spray which didn't really help. allergist diagnosed pollen allergy from a skin ***** test. I knew I had seasonal hayfever already. I eventually narrowed the cause down to corn products. With strict avoidance I am practically as good as new. Corn is also used in gypsum board as a drying agent when it's manufactured, which is why I had problems when we renovated out house. I'm not saying you have a corn allergy, but there are so many potential allergens that test would not have been exhaustive. Skin ***** tests are not very reliable for corn at least - false negatives are common even though a blood test is positive. I'd try a strict food elimination process - may find something or help at least rule out food problems. good luck finding your cause, keep trying with an open mind.
How do you know for a fact that you are having Post Nasal Drip.  Can you actually feel the mucous trickle down the back of your throat?  Is your nose stuffed up?  I've been told I have Postnasal Drip but my only symptoms are the throat clearing, chest tightness and cough, which commonly leads to bronchial infections a few times every winter.  I've been taking Mucinex to help with the excess mucous, and it helps a ton, but I still want to know which way the mucous coming from.  Couldn't the lungs also be producing clear mucous, and causing the throat clearing, and lung infections?

If anyone has any ideas please let me know.
Wrecker,

It is an obvious Post Nasal Drip.  I feel it dripping out of the back of my nose and it makes me gag, puke, or choke if I don't clear my nasal passages.  It is quite gross but it is kinda like goes like this:

1. I have to suck in hard through my nose
2. And kinda snort back to get it into my mouth.
3. Then I expell it.

Like I said it is quite gross and not many people want to be around it after a while.  It is quite embarrassing but most of all uncomfortable.  I usually have a sore throat at some point in the day and usually it goes away and may reappear.  The worst thing though is the forever feeling of a scratchy throat.

Doctors don't want to listen to you though.  They just want to push the steriod nasal sprays and prescription antihistamines on you.  Tussionex is the only thing that has worked for me.

Sounds like exactly (Or at the least, drastically similar to) what I have going on.  Chronic post-nasal drip, nearly constant.  It started getting pretty regular about four or five years ago, and has been getting a touch worse with every subsequent bout with sinusitis since.

Same thing; Steroids have been completely ineffective.

Side Quirk; It gets noticibly worse when I'm under stress.  (Actually, it's become one of my tell-tale signs that I'm -getting- stressed -- I have a tendency to ignore/suppress emotional stress.)  -That- quirk combined with the PND to effectively end my music career.  Having to hawk and spit every verse or so does not do wonders for one's stage presence.  I can force myself to ignore it for a bit, but holding back like that causes it to get worse to the point of hacking, gagging, and full-on puking.  (Fun.  'Hey, let's go see the local band.  I've got front row tickets, bring a tarp!')

Now -- I had a goodly portion of respiratory problems when I was younger, mostly secondary to an immunodeficiency.  Also had problems with asthma and multiple allergies (I still remember the weekly-to-monthly allergy shot, gamma globulin shot, blood test trips).  

However, for a good ten to fifteen years, there, I didn't have many to any problems.  The thin/clear discharge and perceived mucosal irritation -implies- to me "allergen", but I'm not sure about sudden onset or relapse allergies.

On the down side, I'm currently a starving college student again (Ironically, in Respiratory Therapy) and I'm lacking in insurance so I can't afford to get myself bounced from specialist to specialist as tends to be the norm in my experience.

So for now, it's a "Huh.  So what the (insert random no-no word of your choice) do I do now?"  Not only is the not being able to perform vocally thing a major quality of life hit, but "Hey, what have you been *HAAAAAAWWWRRRRRK* up to... *HAAAWWRRRK* lately?" does not do wonders for my social life (As my ex would certainly attest *smirk*).
The only thread of a possible solution I found in another comment, which I am definitely going to try.  This person was given Levaquin, 500 mg, for 30 days & has had good success with it.  The reason why I think this might be a very good answer to this horrid phlegm problem that we are all writing about & almost willing to sell our soul for a resolution is this:  I used to have this excess phlegn problem following a 10 day regimen of antibiotics for a sinus infection, however, after a couple of weeks it would go away, until about 5 yrs ago, when, it decided to call my body home.  I think for some of us, a regular 10 day regimen of antibiotics cures the primary problem, but does not completely get rid of all of it, thus, we are left with this lovely coughing till we puke to try to get out the nasty phlegm to no avail.  I would give my I teeth, not to have to go through this constant hacking up stuff that looks like an alien life form.
I have an appt with an allergist that my husband has seen and I'm going to prompt him for the levaquin.  He currently has my husband on it just in order to clear out his sinuses enough so that the ENT can go in & do surgery for his chronic sinusitus.
I hope this info can help any of you out there going through this unwelcome guest in our lifes.
Since a trip to Southeast Asia April 05, I have been coughing up a white/sometimes yellow glob of mucous on a daily basis...usually in the morning.  My voice goes hoarse without warning as I hack this stuff up...then goes back to normal.  I've seen my doctor 3 times and have recieved Cipro 500 mg, Levaquin 250 mg, and a new antibiotic I can't recall. He has cultured my sputum, ordered chest x-rays, blood tests but nothing shows up?!!!   I do occasionally have a sore throat that lasts 4-5 days then disappears????   Also, I now suffer from post-nasal drip and sneezing attacks although that may just be an allergy.

The mucous is very dry, stringy and clumps together...amount is usually 1/4 teaspoon. I dont have any chest pain or tigtening, but feel less energetic.  I'm 53, great shape, 178 lbs, take no medications, dont smoke/drink.  At wits end as I know something isnt right....could this be fungal????
Since Christmas I have been bothered by post nasal drip, heavy mucus and symptoms of GERD as well.  I've been on Nexium and had 12 days of biaxin to try and get rid of whatever bacterial infection might be going on.  Nothing was working.  I went into a health food store to see what else I could try and it was suggested I start using oil of oregano.  Within 3 days my right nostril was clear and my left one is starting to open up.  I am amazed at this stuff.  For those of you suffering from these same kind of symptoms, it might be worth a try.  It a a heavy duty natural antibiotic as well as a fungal killer.  It's potent stuff so you only use 2-3 drops diluted in a bit of juice and drink it but by 3 days you should be noticing a difference.   There are a lot of articles on the internet about oil of oregano and sinus/post nasal drip/clogged nose problems so hope this helps some of you.
Antibiotics work poorly on Snot Demons, due to low blood circ to the sinuses.  The Mayo Clinic found the real problem (Google: mayo clinic snot). Once you get an infection, all the bacteria,viruses,allergens,and toxins take on a life of their own.  The cure is to get rid of the pustulence, with surgery--no way!--or advanced saline sinus flush. I got a Snot Demon for 7 yrs, teaching grade school/germ factory.  A cold in the fall, then sinusitis, lost smell then taste, Cipro, hawk spit cough, sore throat, partial recovery in summer.  Then I heard about a saline flush, like the one mentioned above.  Better yet, I used to be a swimmer, so I know how to get massive amounts of salt water in and out of my sinuses.  Miracle!  My nose got so clear it woke me up at night.  My advanced technique is easy now, but it requires a short book to safely explain, and agents won't look at it cuz i'm no doctor, or snot books lack glamour. Soon I'll find a publisher with chronic sinusitis.  Meanwhile, try one of the saline (61/2 teaspoons salt to 1 gallon distilled water) flushes from this website (the Grossan tip has possibilities) and if you get results, keep doing it for 3 days after your sinuses clear. And lay off phlegm-making dairy products and white flour til you do. I caught 2 colds again this year, with no congestion, just a raggedy throat and cough for 2 days, and no hawk spit Snot Demon.
It was interesting to read everyone's comments.  I have had a chronic cough for about six or seven years.  I remember all too well the Easter season when my allergist finally prescribed Tussionex Pennikinetic (5 ml AM/PM - 1 tsp.)and just like our writer - rflchamps - in less than fifteen minutes I had a clear head, clear throat and could take a breath without "guarding" against a cough.  

Since then (2004) we have burned out all the specialists (ENT, Gasto, Pulmonary, Immunology & Respiratory) in our area and are now working our way (I say our as my family, friends and coworkers "live" with my cough too) through all the wonderful doctors at Lahey in Boston area.

I have a new name now; "Walker the anomaly" because after trying EVERY p-n-d remedy, every asthma and cough remedy and going on/off/on/off lisinopril, nexium, advair, astelin, nasocort, singulair, albuterol, fexonfenadine (allegra generic) and others there is no abatement or solution except Tussionex.  I even go "off" it every thirty days and go through the "jags" a little and then back on the doses so I don't get "hooked" (I remember the sixties).

There is still no solution after ph testing, xrays, ct scans, methacholine challenges and every other poke, prod and ***** they can come up with for testing (yes I am allergic to everything but, I always was and the cough just started as I said earlier, six or seven years ago).  Thank heavens for health insurance.

Anyway, now I am back on Advair/500, Singulair, Albuterol, Nexium, Fexofenadine, Baby aspirin, Tussionex and vitamins daily; so keep up the spirits and will keep you all posted.

I can totally sympathize with all of you going through this most annoying problem(s) of throat clearing, cough, post nasal drip sensation, thick mucous coming out of nose, and I have the feeling of a lump (globus) on one side of my throat... etc. etc.
I have been to every specialist in my local area- have been to Dr. Koufman at Wake Forest 2 day work up 24hr pH- esaphagoscopy, etc.- she diagnosed me with LPRD I did the meds. ... no change. Then onto Dr. Irwin's cough clinic at the U. of Mass.- barium swallow, X-Rays, Methocline Challenge, bronchoscopy - dx= chronic post nasal drip.
Just came back from the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN- I was sure they would figure me out.... after 4 days of Ct scans and exams with their ENT dept. and Pulmonary, I was sent home with nasal wash and Rx for Atrovent nasal spray and Nexium.
Prior to visiting these docs. I had seen 2 ENT's locally, one GI specialist for upper endoscopy, 1 endocrinologist, 1 endocrine surgeon, my primary care physician, 2 local pulmonary specialists, an ENT at Johns Hopkins (he totally blew me off- 5 min exam. and told me to come back in 8 weeks)a local immunologist ... and a Pulmonary specialist at the University of Penn. for my second set of CT sinus scans and second bronchoscopy.
I just spent an arm and a leg on my trip to Mayo, and basically they told me we can't figure out why I wheeze and clear my throat ALL the time one one side. Hopefully some of the meds. they prescibed will help.
Another strange thing about my entire situation is that this started about 3 years ago, and all the sensations of mucous, wheezing and clearing are ONLY on One side of my throat and chest- that has puzzled every doc. I have met with.
The Mayo Clinic was a great place, but even they can't figure everyone out-
Anyone else experiencing symptoms on one side only??
thanks for reading-
(If you have never been to Mayo, and can afford the trip- it is a most unique medical practice I have ever witnessed. They really do care about the patient and they are very efficient and organized and take the time to listen and address all of your concerns)
snicss
I can relate to all the people having post-nasal drip blockage especially in the back of the throat when sleeping.
I tried all the sprays and went to a variety of specialists that offered less help than my mates on board ship. I figured out one of the causes, pollution. Either factories are pumping the stuff out of their stacks or our houses are built on a land fill.
On the lakes we didn't have doctors on ship so we would try everything from hot-rum totties or we would go in the galley and boil saltwater in an iron pot. After we inhaled the steaming water it seemed to clear the passages and the Hot-tottie killed any germs or pains.
It seemed clear to us that being in fresh air on the sea offered more benefits than the polluted ports we tied up in. Another point that is not helping anyone is that we don't walk nor exercise as we did before. The television couch potato life is not helping any of us on land nor sea.
SNICSS,

I have the exact same symptoms as you.  All on the right side.
I havent been thru the xtensive testing that you have.  Im just thinking it will go away.  I use nasal irrigation, tea, and drink lots of water and it makes things tolerable.  While tolerable, the feeling on the right side of my throat/chest never goes away.  It has been about 5 months now since this started.  It started right after a bad cold.  Sometimes it goes away for a few days only to return.  It appears my sinuses are more allergic now even to the slightest things.  But my nose is clear though....very wierd and really annoying.
I made a new discovery this weekend after discussing my sinus problems and post nasal drip with a chemist. He told me that the main cause of post nasal drip is based on milk protein. This item is found in all milk products from vitamin D milk to skim milk. Yogurts and all powdered milk have that same protein. Two days ago I quit my intake of all milk products. It was difficult walking away from a beautiful gallon of Breyer's ice cream but I felt my health is more important than the wonderful taste of ice cream.
I slept fine without any post nasal drip. No medication was used and I found water had that great taste once again.
When you think of it the fats we take in
slow us down.
Hopefully this discovery will help you have a better day.
I too have been suffering chronic cough for 6 years and starts as soon as I get out of bed, but doesn't bother me when I am laying flat. My breathing tests showed I was only at 54% of lung capacity, and the bronchodilators do help me take deeper breaths but no other medications (prescription or OTC) have helped. Steroids cause yeast infections in my throat and severe skin rashes over my whole body. I do not eat dairy, so that is not causing it. Changing the environment doesn't seem improve it either. I continually have my water bottle with me as when the coughing starts I almost choke.
Hi there, i'm 23, f, and I suffer from very unpleasant case of permanent post nasal drip, have had it for over 6 months now. I am quite positive that it developed due to my former excessive use of cocaine as I often had sinusitis and similar minor problems. Obviously due to this condition I ceased using the drug and also had to cut down on my smoking, which are probably the only good things that came out of it.
I have tried several standard procedures, e.G. Nasal sprays, nasal wash, anti-histamines, steroid sprays, inhaling but nothing has really made any difference.
It feels all the time there is something in my throat so I have to cough all the time as if to clear my throat, when I cough it's a kind of dry cough that nearly makes it feel like there is actually something in there, my tonsils feel weird most of the time (tho not inflamed or particularly sore, just... Weird) and I can actually feel the mucus accumulating there at the back and it's really thick and hard to swallow. When I breathe deeply I can hear weird wheezy noises coming from my throat (not chest), from around the area where the cough comes from. These noises are really the most disturbing part of it, it's a little worse when I lie down like to go to sleep and lie on my back,it feels like if something was partially in the way of breathing and because I hear this strange noise I often can't go to sleep for hours.
I was just wondering if anyone on here knows anything about this or knows of similar experience and could therefore advice or at least offer some peace of mind that this is normal for this condition.
Is there any connection with pnd and later developing throat cancer?
Haven't seen ENT specialist yet as I live in the UK and must wait about 4 months for an appointment (...).
Those of you who have similar condition only will understand how annoying and exhausting this can be and how much it impairs one's life. I'm really desperate and I would give anything to have it back to normal. I have done a little internet research and am going to try this Sinus irrigation device called Hydropulse.
If that doesn't work, there is little hope anything else will.
But hey if it works for me I will let you know.
Take care,
Avine
i kind of have the same problem, please keep me updated
Hey, well I have purchased this product Hydropulse and I have been using it for over a week now, and I have noticed a reasonable improvement, such as I can now go to sleep at night without staying awake for too long coughing and being disturbed by the weird wheezy noises, also the sensation of having to swallow thick mucus has mostly subsided. However the sensation of something stuck in my throat and the cough sounding and feeling unnatural is still there, so are the strange noises which only appear when I exhale deeply. This has made me think that there might be a different cause to this, either some slight case of asthma or impaired chest cilia, which of course I will not know until my far-future ENT appointment. But I'm gonna get spirometry test done see if I have any signs of asthma. Cos I can't quite work out whether the noises come from my chest or throat, it seems more like throat, like there is something there obstructing my air flow, but then I would not probably know the difference if it the cause was in the chest.
So still trying to work it all out. Hope this was of any help.
Best of luck,
Avine
Very interesting to find this site.  Good to know I'm not alone.  I have a few weeks off from work coming up and I am dedicated to finding a solution (cure).  I suffer from having to constantly clear my throat.  I am a professional sales executive selling to high level execs in the Fortune 500 and my throat problems are making my life very miserable.  My phlegm increases whenevr I am in stressful situations such as public speaking or making a presentation of any kind.  It has been extremely challenging and has been going on for probably 3 years now.  I have found that Traditional Medicinals Throat Coat tea does a great job of clearing my throat for short periods of time (while I'm drinking it). I go through two large thermoses of the stuff per day when I am working form my home office.  I have even resorted to stopping in Starbucks and getting plain hot water, throwing in a couple of tea bags and taking it into meetings with me.  I also suck on Slippery Elm Bark lozenges but they don't really seem to do much.  I think I'll try that Oil of Oregano.

I've tried Nexium, Astelin, and Singulair and nothing seems to work.  It definitely gets worse when I drink coffee (I typically drink two cups per day but I'm going to try to quit to see what happens).  I went to two different ENTs and next I'm going to go to an ENT who specialies in LPR to see what he can do.

I always ask the question, "What if Matt Lauer or another highly paid professional communicator had this problem?  What could be done?"

I will not stop until I find an answer.  Please keep sharing your discoveris and I'll do the same.

I know exactly what your all going through. I'm 22 and have had this post nasal drip for around a year and a half.

Whats most annoying thing for me personally is the effect it has on my speech, probably from the thick mucous.

Anyway just a few things I thought I'd share with you.

I seen an ENT specialist around 4 months ago who diagnosed something called LPRD, which is very similar to acid reflux, but worth reading up on. I was prescribed PPI's which does help to control the globus sensation and a secondary problem (a burning sensation in the throat - lprd). I recently ran out of PPI's and I feel 10 times worse than being on them, so I'll be getting some more when I get chance.

Short term improvements:

tilting my head back. Now I don't mean dramatically tilting my head, I just mean if I'm watching tv or relaxing, I'll just tilt my head back very slightly and I can feel everything improve, almost as if I have a sinus problem and everything is draining away.

Sleeping well. I don't know about the rest of you, but if I don't get a good long sleep, the problems are worse. This is always the case for me. This could have something to do with being flat and everything have more chance to drain away properly. (like above when tilting head back)

Drinking. I drink a lot of blackcurrent, because I noticed it clears my throat up really well. Try it. Love the drink too, which helps :) Being from the UK, I drink quite a lot of tea. This seems to temporarily help, I guess most hot drinks will help. I have heard caffeine can worsen LPRD symptoms, but the actual post nasal drip is more annoying, so any short term relief is my priority.

Alcohol. I go out every saturday and drink like there is no tomorrow, lol. I know I shouldn't, but that's the way it is. Come sunday morning I have the usual hangover, but for the next day or 2, I am still feeling the effect of drinking alcohol on my post nasal drip. This definitely worsens it. What I have discovered though, is beer worsens it more than vodka. I have no idea why, but I'll be sticking to vodka and coke and drinking less beer.

Eating. For some reason, if I eat something I feel great for a short period. The food clears all the horrid mucous out of my throat I guess. Just wondering if others notice this?

Dairy products. I tried cutting all that stuff out, but if I'm completely honest, I didn't really notice much improvement.

Exercise. Something else I noticed lately. If I go on the treadmill, it feels like my head is going to explode, lol. It's as if my entire ears nose and throat area is full of mucous and as i'm running along I'm in effect shaking it about. Not sure how else to put that. It was more evident when I had a go on my little cousins trampoline, every time I jumped my head really hurt! Like a banging headache. Makes me think that if I persisted with it, it may help release all these **** out of my head.

I'll end it here I think. We all need to get to the bottom of this, things seem to be getting progressively worse. I'm having a camera down my throat in a few weeks so I'll come back often to update and see if any replies have been made to my post (now in favorites).

Gareth
I've had this problem for 4 years, it came on quite quickly after a really bad attack of laryngitis.   After several months on steroids sprays I had sinus surgery but it had no effect on the PND. Since then I've tried every nasal spray known to man, various antihistamines, seen two more ENT surgeons & had 2 CT scans, both clear; but if anything it's got worse.

About 18 months after it started, the throat lump (which most people refer to) got so bad that my throat is effectively paralysed on one side - it feels like a kind of muscle spasm.  This has persisted, (though it comes and goes) and is really scary.  I also get the other symptoms people describe, esp. pressure in the nose & ears, a feeling of drainage from one ear to the other, globs of furry stuff that stick in my mouth & throat, etc.

I also find that black/redcurrant juice helps a bit (maybe the acide reacts with the mucous ?), and that some alcolohic drinks definitely don't - spirits are OK but wine is bad!  I use nasal irrigation sometimes but the relief is short-lived and it's excruciatingly painful.  When I'm absolutely desperate I use a proprietary nasal spray but try to keep off them.

One thing I notice from reading the above is that several contributors use their voices in their jobs - I'm a university lecturer.  The last ENT surgeon sent me to a speech therapist, but she didn't know what to do with me !   But when I'm talking (or eating or drinking, or running around), the PND is actually better or less noticeable; when I'm sitting still it's worse.

It makes my life a misery about 60% of the time, so I would sell my soul for a cure, and I can't believe that the medics can't even identify the CAUSE.
This same type of problem is killing me too.  There are times when I am fine and then the next minute I can't even talk because of the lump in my throat.  It is killing my career too.  I'm in meetings and go to talk and have to cough really hard to even be able to get the words out.  I'm 33 and have been dealing with this for at least the last 10 years.  I have been to ENT's and Gastro docs and had Endoscopy performed and all they keep telling me is that I have GERD.  I have been taking Nexium but don't notice a difference.  It is almost on a time schedule.  In the morning it may or may not bother me.  It is horrible before lunch time.  It usually a little better right after lunch and then gets bad around 2pm and by 5 pm it has cleared up.  Then it may flare up after eating dinner.  I have cut out caffeine and soda all together and really limit my beer intake.  I've been drinking lots of water too.  I know that it is post nasal drip because once it clears up it is completely clear.  I have really bad allergies and that is enough to deal with.  I'm trying to move up in my company but feel that I'm a liability.  I want to move into sales but how can I put on presentations when I'm coughing and constantly clearning my throat.  Can anyone offer any suggestions?  
I started getting PND about a year ago around the time I received a herniated disc in my neck and after a couple of years of gastric reflux problems.   Then I had an attack one night, thought I was dying because I couldn't breathe, ferried to hospital only to be told I'd had an allergic reaction (to dust) and should take an antihistamine.  
Now I live with occasional bouts of PND which seem to be related to diet (avoid beer, icecream, milk drinks at night), dust and anxiety.  Nights are the worst but have noticed big difference on days I am well hydrated.      Don't know if this helps but I receive regular chiropractic and have a recurring C5 problem which apparently is connected to neck problems.   Maybe posture has something to do with it given the fact we're all on the computer these days!
  I have found the BEST way to deal with PND is mind over matter.  I literally talk myself through the attack to avoid popping a pill - although I'm not always successful.  It's a bit of a vicious cycle I think - the more you let it bother you, the more it will.  If your condition is exacerbated by stress, one piece of advice I can give is to breathe, breathe, breathe.  It will calm you down and at least get rid of one of the causal factors.
I thought that was an interesting post from Bron1.  I've also got problems with my neck at C4&5, and the doctor who did my barium swallow said there were some bony growths on the _insides_ of the cervical vertebrae which she thought might be preventing the PND from sliding down my throat.  (I've also got a 'torus' or bony lump on the roof of my mouth which appeared at the same time as the initial PND).
I also agree that posture is a factor (like a previous contributor, I find that neck position can be critical, esp. at the computer). And stress certainly doesn't help - but then we all 'tighten up' when we're under stress, including the stress of a PND 'attack' !  
Some of the neck/shoulder strengthening exercises my physio gave me (shrugging, stretching, shoulder rotation etc.) do seem to help.  So does breathing (as Bron1 suggests) - but for me it only works if I breathe through my mouth - nose breathing makes it worse.
After reading all the posts (it really helps to know our problem is shared!) I think I've come to the conclusion that fretting about a 'cure' isn't going to help - the medics will have to work on that.  I'm going to concentrate on trying to manage it.   The last few days I've used the nasal douche morning and night to prevent the stuff accumulating & drying up.  I've been using the solution cool/cold and it doesn't seem to hurt that way, but you have to tilt your head back a bit to get to where the stuff is stuck.
Wow.  It is nice to know that I am not alone with the allergy issues.  

Thank you for everyone who has posted their results, etc.  Your posts inspired so many questions and things that I had to take notes when reading it so I had an outline (organized thought of points) to hit upon in my response.

I. Intro
For a little bit on myself, my name is Michael and I have moved to the South (US) from the North East.  I am now 25 years old and living on my own
Hi!! I would like to share my success story that came from using oil of oregano. Last October I was on antibiotics for yet another sinus infection. This time the sinus infection did not go away...instead all of the dreadful symptoms I have read about in these posts were added to my condition. My doctor would not put me on any more antibiotics. He said it was nasal allergies and gave me nasacort and, of course, something for acid reflex. I have been completely miserable since October of 2005. I thought I was allergic to the Christmas tree ( we get a real tree every year, and this never happened before) and I rushed my daughter to take it out this time. I have been on most of the meds you all have and yet I still had that unbelievable lump of mucus and drip and cough and on and on.
I read on some board that someone had tried oil of oregano. Now, I am the first to be skeptical of herbs and the such, but I was so desperate I drove right to the health food store the next day and purchased a bottle (get the oil,not the capsules)
Right there in the car I put a few drops under my tonge and I felt nearly instant relief. I have to add that the sinus infection never did go away, it just sat there...it had proved resistant to all the antibiotics around.) Well, I have been using this stuff for 5 days now. My "green" stuff has turned nearly normal color. My PND has improved to the point that it is almost gone. It is hard to swallow straight so I mix 2-3 drops in a glass of tomatoe juice 3-4 times a day. It is working, it is curing my sinus infection (it is a natural antibiotic and anti fungal and a lot more).When I have that lump in my throat and all of the other symptoms we get....I put a very tiny drop under my nostrals to breathe in and inhale a few of the vapors from the bottle...and instant relief.
There is a book out that talks about the uses for oil of oregano, "The Cure is in the Cupboard" by Dr. Cass Ingram...I Highly recommend reading this book. He also tells you what to look for in oil of oregano...p73 and carvnol ( I think that is it) I paid 30.00 for the bottle ( and it will last a really long time, you only need a few drops) but I found it on eBay for a better price. I hope you all will experience the relief I have felt since using this product. It saved my life, I was completely beside myself and I felt "what  have I got to loose?"
Here's to our health!!! Billie1026
I had extremely bad postnasal drip and all its side effects for years. Tried EVERYTHING (and I mean everything - homeopathic, naturapathic, western medicine, etc...)without success. Tussionex was the only thing that worked but who wants to be dependant on a cough syrup that costs $90 a bottle and is a narcotic???! After a lot of research I determined that my tonsils were the issue - not only were they useless, they were inviting constant reinfection. I resorted to having them removed 3 years ago. It's a painful procedure when you're an adult and I had to fight to get an ENT surgeon to agree to perform the surgery, but it has made a world of difference - now I get postnasal drip maybe once a year and it goes away within a week as opposed to lasting months and recurring 5 or 6 times a year minimum. While I'm sure this option isn't for everyone, I wanted to put it out here because it has literally been a lifesaver for me and I know how the constant hacking cough, sleepless nights etc..can make each day more miserable than the next. Hope this helps some of you...
Good luck!!
Just want to add that I have Post Nasal Drip too. My case is not so bad and I havent done much to take care of it yet. I will try antihistamines and probably OOO (oil of oregano :) I once took zyrtec for it and that helped a lot. I just have a lump which sometimes hurts a lot, sometimes I forget about it. It probably affects me 4 or 5 times a year, but usually after I take a long airplane trip. I also have sleep problems too (I usually sleep plenty and still feel unrested throughout the day. My speech is not very clear either. I never thought that these things were related until tonight while reading this board.  Most people just dont get it, but we can emphathize with each other here. I dont have much to add to this discussion, but just want to join the team here. I hope we can share more ideas; and I encourage you to keep this discussion going  and post --- even the little info you are able to add (like this post of mine). Every little bit is a small step closer to our cure.

Z
Hey, thanks for the info on your success with OOO. I will buy some this week. For right now I am on Zyrtec.

Z
Hi!! I am on my 8th day of using the oil of oregano and my symptoms are gone. I feel normal, no dripping, no lump, no snorting...and I sleep at night. I would have given all of the money I have to be symptom free and it only cost me 29.00 for  a bottle of OOO oil of oregano.If you use it, be patient, it took me 8 days to feel symptom free and I will continue to use it for precaution!!
You are welcome! I know how awful this is and I wanted to share my experience so others may benefit.
take care,
billie
I was beginning to think i was alone on this mucous promblem.  I have went  to plenty of ENT'S. So far nothing has helped me. Ive tried numurous nose sprays  tried saline flush for 5-6 months. Just last Saturday I bought the oil of oregano I've heard a lot of good from everyone on here about ooo but today is my 7th day and no luck yet? My mucous is not clear though  in the morning out of my nose is yellow and when i have to snort it up out of my throat it is greenish. This is very serious Ive had this for years.My mucous problem is 24/7 365 days a year  weather is not a factor because its not allergies tested negative on skin allergies. I bring this mucous up at home and at work. Any suggestions will greatly be appreciated. A couple more questions also    If dairy makes mucous worse then why was I fine 8,10,12 years ago ?  Should I stop taking Calcium pills also? I really dont want to because you need it for your bones etc...  thanks for any help PLEASE
My problem all started about 6 years ago with a feeling of a lump in my throat. At the time, I was going through some very stressful times and the doctor said it was just a sensation due to anxiety. Had barrium swallow done and nothing was found except a scratch at the top of my esophagus, which may have been caused by swallowing a pill. As time went on, the feeling would come and go depending on how much I paid attention to it. I had a hard time swallowing certain foods like peanut butter, bread, or meat - still, food sometimes slowly moves down my throat. Also had a problem with burning (like acid coming up) in my throat and burping, and when my body was strained by some activity something would literally pop from my upper abdomen. Went to the doctor - diagnosed with allergies and gastritis (inflamation (inflammation) of stomach lining). So I have been on Nasonex and Clarinex for allergies and Aciphex for gastritis. Stomach is better, but no real relief from suspected allergy problem, just gets better for a week or so and comes back. Recently was diagnosed with sinusitis and was put on antibiotic. My biggest problem is the constant post nasal drip - mucus draining down the back of my throat. When I wake in the morning, it is white and stuck to the back of my throat, which I believe is the reason my throat is irritated most of the time. It takes about an hour of drinking before it clears and then drainage continues, is more clear in color but always there.  This all occurs on the right side of my throat. Does anyone else have this same problem when waking up in the morning? I have little coughing but when I do cough, I usually bring up some mucus (yellow in color). Throat clearing is throughout the day, but not constant. I have been to family physician, ENT, and been seen by several physicians at our local Med Center. They always say allergies or anxiety. However, no one has ever done a throat culture - which I find odd because if my throat is red and looks inflamed, why wouldn't they? My tonsils are gone - had those out when I was about 6 years old. I am now 38 and very frustrated with this constant problem. Was using Breathe Ease Saline nasal spray for a while and it seemed to help, but then I got the sinus infection, and I don't know if that caused the problem. Sorry to hear of everyone dealing with this problem, but am glad I'm not alone. Any feedback would be much appreciated!!!  :-)
Hi, wondering if anyone else has tried Oil of Oregano yet. I have been using this stuff for about a month and I am doing very well. I still get some symptoms... you really have to be patient with OOO, but it will work. I figure how long have I been fighting sinus infections??? Years,on and off!! So, I am trying to be patient, when I feel like it is not working. My daughter reminds me how much better I am doing. It is good to have someone else who lives with you monitor your success.
I had a great Mother's Day!! Lots of cool stuff planned by my daughter and an Oil of Oregano "cocktail" made with a half a glass of Squirt and 3 drops of OOO. The squirt really kids up the taste of the Oil and it is pretty darn good!! I have Oregacyn (Oil of Oregano capsules esp. for respiratory) and I just started to use them today, will let you all know how they work.
Take Care all,
Billie
Hi billie1026 Ive used the ooo for 2 weeks now Im still bringing up mucous,bad smell in nose. do you have these same symtoms (symptoms) mine are really bad maybe the ooo is not strong enough for me? I was reading in archives bactitech also seems informative this person is a microbioligist does anyone know if this person is still around? But i certainly appreciate anyone's help with this matter.  P.S. maybe we all need to get together that arent getting better and go on a talk show and demand a doctor who CARES  and knows what they are doing .
I have been feeling so alone and isolated with my problem for a long time. For the past 10 years I have been on numerous courses of oral antibiotics, oral, inhaled, and intranasall steroids, antihistamines, i have even had sinus surgery, but yet 10 years later, I still have post-nasal drip on a daily basis. As a result I have 2 agonizing problems.
1) When I have a "flare" which seems to almost be cyclical (every 4-6 weeks), I drip so much that at night I drool all over my pillow. It is always clear, SUPER-thick,with a funny but not disgusting smell. Often I do not get a good night sleep because I wake up coughing/choking on mucus, or I roll over on a drool/mucous puddle. I sleep with a cup at my bedside to spit in,and it is amazing at times, after a 7-8 hour night, my cup is 1/2 to nearly full of thick mucus. ANYONE ELSE HAS THIS????? I AM SO ALONE AND ISOLATED ON THIS ONE! Needless to say, that is a huge social hindrance in the relationship department if you know what I mean.
2) I get so much drip when I am at my worst, that it catches me mid-sentence in conversation. This of course is a social hindrance in the social/professional department. But I have read a lot about others that experience this and so I don't feel so alone.
Right now I am on a wheat-dairy-alcohol free diet, I am irrigating my sinuses twice daily. I think I am somewhat better, but I still wake up with thick mucus in my sinuses that I need to clear out.and I am still drooling.and coughing.
BUT IS THIS DROOL ISSUE JUST MY OWN BEDTIME NIGHTMARE OR DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS?????????????????????????Please be honest and share your thoughts on this one with me.
For the past 3 years or so, I would have intermittant wheezing sounds especially laying down.  Then last year the hweezxing sounds are with me almost constanly. I try to cough them away but no such luck.  I also have had one year of dripps....Thick mucous coming from nasal doen the back of my throat.  They said my lungs are clear.   CT chest shows minor scarring at the top of my lungs...Probably from poorly or unrecognized infection sometime in my life.

I do have gerd and am on nexium.  I had another EGD the other day and they spotted H-Pylori bacteria  and a moderate size sliding hiatal hernia.  Maybe..just maybe the hital hernia and h-pylori bacteria is part of this mess.  I feel all your pain. I start a 3 med regime tomorrow for 14 days.  

I do not like Albuterol anymore or any inhalers as this sets my heart rate in overdrive and I lose my taste and seems like my throat narrows on me making it harder to cough of all that thick junk.  Good Luck To All...
I started with a rattling or vibration feeling in my chest, turned to cough, followed by horrible cold/virus sinus thing that went around my house.  Everyone else healed, but after nearly 4 months, I still have symptoms.  The worst is something I have yet to hear others say--this rattling kind of mucous interference when I breathe.  There seems to be a colony of mucous ants living in my chest, actually in my trachea--or so it feels.  I also have relentless post nasal drip and a new habit of clearing my throat, sounding like our cat when she hacks hairballs.  First I cough, then clear.  And I wish I could just hack it up, but it doesn't get that far.  It seems to get stuck in the middle of my throat and then I swallow it--gross.  But the mucousy chest is so difficult to live with.  Have had two rounds of antibiotics, one round of prednisone among other things.  Take allergy meds, but don't see much effect and don't have allergies (blood test said so as well.) Clear chest x-ray and ENT looked up my nose and said all is well.  Lost my sense of smell for the most part.  They say stress makes things worse, I say this makes the stress.  Saw a pulmonolgist who diagnosed me with chronic cough--possibly due to PND.  Have had reflux in the past, but no symptoms now, but did take Nexium for a while.  Nothings helps.  And again, the most disconcerting thing is that rattly chest. I am doing the Chinese herb route now, not seeing much improvement, and I feel like my life is wrapped up in mucous and it just wants to be with me forever--which is driving me crazy.  Am peri-menopausal, but can't imagine that is what is causing this.  Any suggestions or at least comfort in misery?
after reading all of the above comments and the listings/complaints of drugs that do nothing but make things worse....i feel for all of you and i also feel compelled to offer my personal experience....

my history with chronic post nasal drip, since childhood was really getting to me, i was tired all the time, constantly swallowing/spitting mucous, feeling bloated after eating, sinus problems almost year round (i could not leave the house without an antihistamine pill in my purse) it was all driving me crazy, i was so tired of searching, yet i never gave up.   it took YEARS of trial and error to figure it out.  once i finally realized what MIGHT be causing it i was met by very few doctors even willing to acknowledge the possibility of having a candida imbalance, let alone treat it.   or they would limit it to being a "female issue" (which of course is only ONE tiny aspect of it, candida affects both male and female)  

any time i would ask any doctor for help with it, they would immediatly hand me a prescription for a stronger anti-biotic.  i discovered that what most western doctors are trained to do is give more and more and more drugs which are a temporary fix but in the long run only damage the natural balance inside the body...they do not really "cure" anything!   there are some blended medicine doctors i have heard about who are getting hip to trying to restore the imbalance by using strong drugs to blast out all internal organisims then re-establishing the good bacteria/flora with lots of pro-biotics, (which may work for some people)  but i have yet to actually find one who practices it.

try googling candidia/yeast overgrowth...take the "spit test" and see if you are one of the 80% or so of the population who has a candida/albicans imbalance.
have a look at the long list of symptoms and see if you think it could be part of your problem.

one thing to remember...EVERYONE has candida organisims present in their body, and when the immune system is compromised, from stress, poor diet among many other reasons, the candida starts to multiply like crazy into a harmful fungal invasion.   (and of course these fungal organisms feeds on sugars, flour...etc.... HELLO...cravings!)  and there you have the beginning of a nasty imbalance which is fairly difficult to correct.

what we need to to do is restore our inner intestinal balance, through the use of PRObiotics, (good quality acidophilus with FOS, avail at any health food store) healthy diet, sleep, excercise, etc. and not just by killing off everything with ANTIbiotics.  it is not an easy process so many people just ignore it, but
learning about it and doing our best to treat it (working to bring about a more alkaline state to your body (less acidic) and that includes staying away from most grains/flour/sugars/etc.
the site i mention below says they have something that will restore the internal balance without a special diet but that is new to me, and i have not tried it as i do a pretty good job of balancing mine through my food choices...but it may work for you and they have a lot of good information on their site.

we ARE what we eat/drink/ingest whether we like it or not....you've heard the saying "death begins in the colon" instead of shruggin it off or laughing, pay close attention the next time you eat/drink something and see how you feel.  and if for one second you think your intestine and colon have nothing to do with your sinus problems, better think again.
candidasupportdotorg is a good site to check out, have a look with open eyes and you may be surprised.

btw, once i quit eating most dairy products and a few other things i was also able to give up the antihistimines, and that was over 10 yrs ago.
also something fantastic for sinus problems, my naturopath recommended it a while ago, it is a nasal wash called "XLEAR" it is completely natural and really works wonders if you are stuffed up, or in pain.  supposedly has an ingredient that makes the passages slippery so bacteria will not adhere to them (i got it at vitamin cottage)
(i rarely need to use it but when i do it is great)

the natural approach DOES work.....read, read, read and NEVER give up!!!
A related discussion, post nasal drip was started.
A related discussion, Post nasal drip was started.
A related discussion, AC 100 or ACC 100 was started.
A related discussion, pnd was started.
A related discussion, To all was started.
A related discussion, Post Nasal Drip? and how do you cure it? was started.
A related discussion, pnd relief needed was started.
A related discussion, Odd Chronic cough was started.
A related discussion, throat clearing was started.
Formula for PND:-One pod garlic,1/4 Tsp cayenne pepper,1/8 Tsp termuric powder,1/2 inch piece of ginger.. Chew all these first thing in the morning on empty stomach till a paste like consistency is formed. Retain for at least one to two minutes in the  mouth and then swallow. Follow it with a glass of warm water. If this creates heat please add juice of half a lime to the warm water... Repeat the same before going to bed at night. You may have to take 2 doses a day of the above for at least a week. LAter bring it down to one dose for at least a month. bbt.
A related discussion, PND was started.
I have the same symptoms but the worst is a terrible cough. I've been coughing so long I actually now have pain in my right side, around my breast and right shoulderblade. Now it hurts when I try to breathe deeply. PND has got to be the cause of the cough. I moved to new city higher in humidity and mold about a year ago and that's when my symptoms started. I smoke so every dr I see just says it's the smoking which I know doesn't help but I've smoked for a while and this last year is the first time I've been so sick. The pain won't stop cuz I can't quit coughing. I can't quit coughing cuz the PND won't go away. I was given levaquin back I'm may which worked and I was symptom free all summer. However as soon as the seasons changed I was back in my routine of sore throat sniffling coughing and as of thanksgiving severe pain on the right side. Ice been told the pain is due to muscle strain from excessive hard coughing. But I've taken all the OTC meds I can with no relief. I lost my insurance so going back to dr for another round if levaquin is not doable. Anyone else experiencing chest side or back pain with their PND??? And how can I stop the excess drainage from getting to chest and causing this horrible hard semi productive cough??? Everything I try only works once or twice then it's as if my body has already gotten used to whatever drug or remedy I'm trying. Help me please. Anything OTC or herbal I will try i just don't know where to start. Thanks
A related discussion, post-nasal drip was started.
A related discussion, Humble request was started.
A related discussion, Candida cure and immune boost key to PND cure? was started.
I've had post nasal drip for three miserable and I've been to every N E T DOCTOR and none have been able to help me I've taken every test imaginable for this problem and nothing has helped needless to say but I have spent so money it hurts,but I've found a temp.relief PERCECET OR VICADINE to bad it to a narcotic.
I've had post nasal drip for three miserable years and I've been to every N E T DOCTOR and none have been able to help me I've taken every test imaginable for this problem and nothing has helped needless to say  I have spent so much  money it hurts,but I've found a temp.relief PERCECET OR VICADINE to bad it had to be a narcotic.
A related discussion, sinus drainage help was started.
A related discussion, stumbled upon some relief was started.
A related discussion, Severe Post Nasal Drip was started.
HI ALL-----I know where you all are coming from I go through this almost every morning to find out back when I was a teen I was reading a magazine which i believe the article was in an after pregnancy magazine-----any a guy wrote an article on this very subject and guess what he said the problem was ----WAS "DUST"---yup we are inhaling dust from somewhere, floor shelf, table, etc, and he was right---i started dusting like crazy-----this stopped!!!! True story!
A related discussion, Phlegm, Chokepoint, nasal drip. was started.
A related discussion, Yes opiates help was started.
A related discussion, Antihistamines was started.
A related discussion, Excessive post nasal drip caused by candida? was started.
A related discussion, Post Nasal Drip During Surgery was started.