RESPIRATORY DISORDERS
FORUM
Eating food causes excess mucus
by real_classylady, Jan 24, 2004
I was wondering if you could give me some idea of what i can do to ease the discomfort of excess mucus buildup in my nose and throat after eating all foods. All day I am having to clear my nose and throat I am also coughing up mucus that has collected in my chest. I am assuming it is an allergic reaction to all foods eaten but it is very worrisome. I have had food allergy tests done but nothing show up. Any ideas would be welcome. Thank you.
Answer:
by National JewishBlank, Jan 28, 2004
Postnasal drip is drainage from the nose and sinuses dripping down the back of the throat.  There could be several reasons for this drainage.  One reason is an allergy.  A second reason is a non-allergic, non-infectious inflammation in the sinuses that can linger after a cold.  A third reason is chronic sinusitis.  Postnasal drip can cause coughing as a result of irritation of the throat and lungs.  You may experience the postnasal drip as a feeling of excess mucus at the back of your nose and throat after eating.  The fat content in dairy products can thicken mucus.  Generally eating dairy products with less fat content is helpful.  Drinking plenty of water will help to thin the mucus so that it moves more easily.  As long as you are not on a fluid restriction you should be drinking 6 to 8 8-ounce glasses of non-caffeine non-alcoholic fluid daily.  Clearing your throat can irritate your throat and make it sore.  When you feel the need to clear your throat sip some water to clear the mucus.  An antihistamine can dry up the postnasal drip.  However, it may make the mucus thicker and more difficult to move.  A decongestant like Sudafed
Member Comments (14)
by Force10, Jan 24, 2004
I have exactly (to the letter) what Desertpoppy and Classylady is talking about...excessive mucus after eating.  I constantly have to clear my throat to breathe.  It truly is horrible.  I'm 28 (female) and it started when I was 12 years old. The past year I have been aggressively seeking a solution.  It is so miserable after anything is ingested to have to clear your throat for the next 30 minutes.  It's exactly what Desertpoppy said "I do get congested in the nose as well as lungs/chest and throat, and to me it seems like I produce too much phlegm immediately after eating and it blocks my air passages. It does not seem to be related to heartburn, nor to specific foods."

I will detail what I have come across so far........
I went to an allergy/asthma doctor. I wasn't allergic to anything except a few weeds and some grasses.  I tested negative for asthma.  I then went to an ear/nose/throat doctor.  I had a CT Scan of my sinus.  I even ate a big meal, knowing it would activate the mucus.  I could hardly stay still for the scan, but at least they could possibly catch the problem in the act.  The scan looked fine, still no solution.  Then she looked down my throat with this long rubbery thing that went in through my nose.  She found a very thick sticky mucus covering my vocal cords.  I was happy to hear some evidence to my symptoms.  She had me take Pepsid AC (thinking it might be acid reflux/ heartburn), even though an Upper GI indicated I had no evidence of acid reflux.  Within the last couple of months I've been prescribed Protonic, then Nexium and Claritin D together and if that didn't help (which it didn't) take Nexium by itself.  I have 4 days left and it is not helping yet.  

I am so desperate to find an answer!  I am going to seek help at a local herb store.  I think I am also going to get a second opinion of the ear/nose/throat doctor.  If anyone has other directions or thoughts or possibly solutions to which I can explore, prevent or cure  please reply.  

Note:  I do not smoke--never have.  I have never experienced heartburn.

Force10
by blondeviolin, Jan 25, 2004
Have you considered acid reflux?  Sometimes acid reflux can play a role in your mucus production.  Do you experience heartburn, chest pain, or stomach upset?
by Concerned lady, Jan 29, 2004
I agree with Blondeviolin! A person CAN have reflux, without feeling any heartburn at all! A high up type of reflux that doesn't cause heartburn, is called LPR/laryngeal pharyngeal reflux.

This LPR type of reflux, can irritate the tissues near the vocal cords, and the irritated tissues then produce more mucus (which was seen on your vocal cords). Even sinuses can be irritated by this high up type of gastric reflux.

I think you're right to look for a second ENT opinion--especially from an ENT who knows about the many effects of reflux!

Have you tried to keep a food diary, yet? This can help you to tell which foods you may be sensitive to. Food sensitivities (intolerances) are not the same as allergies. Food sensitivities can have delayed effects (minutes, hours, days). Food sensitivities can cause REFLUX, and then, the reflux can irritate the throat, sinuses, lungs, etc., with a lot more mucus production.

Concerned lady
http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com
by crazy_kz, Jan 30, 2004
Force10, I have gone through exactly what you have.  Kinda conforting that I'm not the only one with this.  Although my Dad seems to have it too.  Neither of us have come across any help.

Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) seems to be a road to further explore.  I've tried Zantacand Pepcid without results though.  I have no heartburn or sour stomach or pain at all.

For you, does coffee and tomato pasty foods make it worse?

Please let me know if you get ANY help or results.
by Amadeux, Feb 23, 2004
I have exactly the same problem but I have to add that my voice has change due to this problem. Not significantly, but enough for me to notice. For example, I lost the ability to talk in false voice (like imitating a kid) and I get sore throat by just having a 15 minute conversation. I can't scream because it hurts.

I went to an ENT doctor and he didn't insert the scope into my throat but he made the "medical assumption" that my problem is allergies.

I went back to my doctor and she told me that I have the nose back drip problem described by someone else in this forum. She prescribed me Claritin D in combination with Nasacort AQ. Even though it makes me feel better, it doesn't cure my problem. It only suppresses the synthoms.

I don't have persistent cough. Sometimes I feel I would like to cough to release the material that's in my throat. I literally feel the phlegm at the back of my throat. I clear my nose and spit but what comes out is clear. Also, if I have a cold my throat feels a lot better and my problem seems to dissapear for a while!

If you have the same synthoms I would like to know because sometimes is scary not knowing exactly what I have. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
by storch, Feb 29, 2004
I've had the EXACT same problem and have been to the doctor (without satisfaction) multiple times.  A cold always seems to trigger it.  Weeks later (6-8) I am still coughing to the point of getting sick to my stomach if I have just eaten.  Eating food seems to especially trigger excess mucus production, although I constantly clear my throat all day long.  Gradually, over weeks, I "dry up" and become normal again until the next cold hits.  It's terrible.  I go through rounds of antibiotics, antihistimines, decongestants, etc. etc. and nothing seems to really be the answer.  And, I am not really "sick"--no fever, no pain, etc.  Just really disgusting, thick clear mucus.  Any suggestions to help?
by storch, Feb 29, 2004
by TEBOSSARD, Mar 01, 2004
my name is Tom. I am 56 year old male. In the last 10 years I have been through every available regime for managing and or controling excessive mucus in the throat, nose sinus' with painful buildup in the chest whicmake my lower shoulders and back of neck hurts. All scans, allergy tests, reflux test, fondal pliction(tighting of lower esopogeal spincter) and I still heavy mucus. All precriptions have been tried plus all OTC drugs. I dont smoke or drink in 15 years, but did before then. The older i get it seems the worst it gets. All my Dr's have been high level recognizes in their professin in Boston  and Hartford. I have it year round and 24/7. I take a hot shower 2-3 times a day to gargle and clear current mucus production. Does anyone have the miracle answer to this health phenomenon. I also have tried all kinds of food diets and exercise plans. I'm coming up with its the low qual1ty of the air in general. I love 3 miles from interstate 91 and 5 miles from an International airport...i know im going way out on the limb....any ideas are welcomed........thanx friends............TOM