Respiratory Disorders Community
Elderly pneumonia death

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Elderly pneumonia death

My mother who was a very active and alert 94 year old recently died of Pneumonia. On Monday January 7 a PA listened to her lungs and they were clear. On Tues, January 8 a Doctor heard wheezing  in her lungs along with a low pulse ox and put her on Albuterol   via nebulizer  3 x's a day. No antibiotics or steroids were started nor was there a chest x-ray done. On Wed, Jan 9 a little worsening of the cough and lung sounds. On Thursday, Jan 10 she was much worst and had to be taken to the ER were a chest x-ray was taken with a diagnosis of Pneumonia in one lung. Levaquinn was started along with breathing treatments and oxygen via the nose. Friday, Jan 11 she was in a regular room with 100 % oxygen with a face mask. Toward the end of the day Friday she was rushed into ICU and intubated. There was an attempt to extubate he on Tues, Jan 15 and she failed and was re-intubated. She underwent a trach on Thursday, Jan 24 and died shortly afterward of cardiac issues. I can't help feeling that enough was not done soon enough to halt the Pneumonia. Can somebody please help me sort through this.  Thanks.