Respiratory Disorders Community
Fainting In flight

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Fainting In flight

I have had problems when I fly on a long flight. In Feb 2007 when flying back from Delhi to Zurich I fainted within 30 mins of being airborne.. I felt dizzy, fainted and then was told I had a very low pulse and had become pale and very cold. This condition lasted for about 30 mins. On 26 Feb 08  again when I flew back from Delhi after 4 hours of being air born I fainted. I was taken to a vacant Business class seat and there I was allowed to lie down and I recovered.
I never had problems in day flights.
All my doctors here are unable to explain my situation. I have a marginal high blood pressure ( 90/130) but am not given any medicine. I also suffer from sleep apnoea and regularly use a full face mask. Otherwise I am a healthy , active male of 57 years of age. Could you please advise me if there is any thing I could do or at least which specialist I should see. I am a Swiss citizen and live in Basel.
On e few earlier occasions I fainted and was diagnosed as having an infection which lowered my blood pressure.
I will be very grateful for your kind advice.
Tags: fainting
Jets are pressurized to 8,000 feet. The higher you go the less oxygen. For some reason the amount of oxygen that most people can take at 8,000 feet, you can't. May consider extra oxygen for the flight and see if that changes it. Of course the MD should be monitoring your situation for any other conditions that could cause the fainting. Richard Friese.