Hard coughing causes blackout/passingout
I have had a cough now for about 3 weeks. It started off very mild but 2 weeks ago got more serious. I was sitting down and started to cough really hard and the next thing i knew i was picking myself up off the floor. I had passed out. I went to the emergency room and they told me i had bronchitis and that i had passed out from  agitating that nerve in the back of my neck, at least thats what they think and didnt seem to worried about it. I have a couple of prescriptions for coughing ect but they are not working very well and i have since had 2 more hard coughing episodes where i blacked out if not all the way passed out.
What i want to know is does this sound normal for bronchitis or hard coughing? Should i be worried more? Can passing out or blacking out cause any damage from repeted episodes?
What else can i do?
Similar thing happens to me (except I almost pass out, but not completely). Does anyone have any ideas? Is this a bad thing? My doctor seems to think it's no big deal... :/
Same thing happens to me for a few weeks now do you feel really weird after you cough hard
Just to add, this happens both when I cough, and when I laugh too hard. Once, I almost went off the road because a friend made me laugh (went dizzy for a few seconds).
Happened to me last night pretty scary passed out twice called the ambulance took me to the hospital doctor said it was a textbook case but wnt to know is it a permanent condition. Anything that i can do to prevent it from jappening again
look into whooping cough.  It seems to be more of a problem in adults than most doctors think.
Yes I agree. I suddenly had thick mucus in my throat. When I coughed it totally blocked airway and I nearly passed out. After being put on Steroids my doctor switched to Antibiotics. Nothing helped. Finally he did a throat and nasal swab. I had Whooping cough. He has me on Stronger antibiotics. Hopefully this will work.
My hard coughing caused blackout this morning resulted in a severe cut to  my forehead from striking the night stand by my bed as I went down.  Nice black eye as well....
My father had this happen a couple of times a few years ago and doctors found nothing.  It is the sacriest thing to witness and go through.  All of a sudden, it happened again yesterday.  Does anyone have any advice?
Black outs been  Happening to my husband for the last 2 week - his been couging for the last 2 months - it looks like no one knows - been to three doctors all say the same - been to Hospital now they whany to ssend him to a Specialist - but if i see all these mess of the coughing i think it will be a waist of money and time - and we do not have a Med.
get a throat swab, it may be Whooping Cough
Had two blackouts this week, they begin with a cough, wife experienced one, she said that I had my hands contracted, and my head rolled back, then, I came to, she said it lasted about 15 seconds, really concerned, other symtoms are lack of sleep, and chronich body aches,
email me at ***@**** please
i have been having the same issues for 5 weeks and have blacked out three times and just this morning had a small seizure in front of my kids when i came to i felt my body still shaking  
as soon as i start coughing for a short period of time and or laugh hard it sends me into a coughing fit and i black out
hospital has said my vitals are fine and send me on my way
they dont go any further than that
one hospital said it could be my uvula that is long causing me to cough but they dont know why im blacking out  
they have pushed me off about 5 times now and the condition is getting worse
i hope that you have recovered and if you did please let me know what i need to do
I have been doing the same thing off and on for about 2 months. I get better and then next thing I know I'm coughing so hard I blackout and feel as though I am having a slight siezure. Scares the tar out of me but unfortunatleyI have no insurance right now and can't afford to go to the doctor. A year ago I had pnuemonia and was hospitalized for a week. Good luck to you all on getting answers to help you feel better.
Had this very same dry phloem cough going on for the last month and a half. snuck right up on me. started when i was smoking a few times and sucked down a bubble of spit at the same time I was in haling smoke. I do not believe it is a smoking related issue as to the fact i have been smoking for only 6 years. I never had chest or bronchial problems until 98 and worked in a job that I believe now caused "labor induced Asthma"  Before I even started smoking  I had coughed up to the point of almost passing out, and one time I was smoking something else, coughed afterwards and ended up passing out and dropping the receptacle. But anyway, this comes and goes over the years. I just had gotten over by July of 2011, last year, and it tarted up again this year in july. I have already had a minor episodes of coughing or laughing until I  pass out for a few seconds being some place safe. But last night i was on a road trip riding along with someone else and stopped for a pit stop, walking into the mens room and found myself coughing on the way in and picking myself up off the mens room floor. I hope some one out there has an answer for what this is and how to beat it and make it go away faster.
I have had a bad cough for a month now .Have taken 3 different antibiotics and am still coughing . Problem is when I cough I pass out  about 50% of the time.Can last up to 20 sec. but seems a lot longer. It always is accompamied with vivid dreams.I have been to my doc and to the ER. Told me it is overstimulation of the vagus nerve which decreases blood flow to the brain. Ive been on high doses of prednisone inhalers and cough medicine but nothing has worked. I have fallen several times and cut my head open. Time to see a specialist. Now I have difficulty getting my breath after coughing my throat closes off the air.Really scarey..
Get a throat swab and check for Whooping Cough
I was taking Lexapro.  The doctor upped my dosage from 5 mg to 10 mg and coughing until I passed out happened to me twice.  I quit taking it and it quit happening.  Is it possible your father had a reaction like this to some medication?
I had a bad cough when I was driveing I blacked out and wrecked my car luckly I did not hit anyone it scared me bad went to doc and got lots of med
Hey everyone, I was looking up why this happens to me as well. Though I don't fully blackout, things certainly do go dim and near blackout. I've been dealing with this for a few years now. I wonder how many of you have had some sort of oral surgery. I didn't start having this problem until I developed esophogial bleeding one morning and had to have an emergency throat cauterization to stop the bleeding. Within weeks of healing the black out coughing started. I also have severe sleep apnea and don't know if this might be a contributing factor. I've gone to an ear nose ans throat doctors and he told me that throat irritation can sometimes trigger and overly sensitive vagus nerve. Typically he said its non life threatening other than if it were to cause an accident of some kind, the blacking out in and of itself isn't dangerous. He seemed very blahze about it actually, I've learned to always keep sucking candy or water  nearby if I'm driving or something else hazardous to prevent coughing too hard and passing out at the wheel. Btw I am not a smoker other than a very very rare cigar.
I too have been having this happen for years now, it also occurs for me when I smell a strong order or smell.  After many doctors and research we found it's not only bronchitis but my vocal chords are scared and damaged.  This might be something to look at.
Just passed out for the first time tonite in front of my GF. It was euphoric. I was trying to say something while she was running to turn me over to find a beet red face and not breathing. She rolled me over and yelled "I'm calling 911 !!" and then she said I jumped right up like nothing happened and had a 72 beats per minute heart rate. I, as well, have no insurance and am just getting by.
Now... I acquired this cough with clear jelly like phlegm with a white streak or line in it. 103-104 degree temps for 13 straight days and now 99-100 for the last 3 days. I sleep 1-2 hours per night as I can't lay down because the phlegm fills my airway within 1-2 minutes... for the first 2 1/2 weeks. Last 2 nites I slept 4-5 hours, waking to violent coughing up this jelly. Then my throat is closed... and of course I need to take in oxygen and cannot. I've learned to squeeze my neck and be extremely patient and take in enough air to plug my nose and blow hard while holding my breath to push open the wind pipe. Cold liquids intensify the phlegm... I've been drinking lots of water to be healthy and now I am hindered by it. Hot coffee or tea is comfortable but still works up the jelly... just not as bad.
The Dr said my lungs were clear and no sore throat. No pneumonia or bronchitis. Just a viral infection... so no antibiotics. Until I went in and asked for an AB, and received Bactrum. The 2nd day I started to feel better to a point. The coughing and jelly... not being able to breath, is getting very old. I am 52 and very healthy and take vitamins and eat well...
NOW!!! Does anyone have any idea what the F this is? I want my life back !!!!!!      

Thank You for listening...
Test for whooping cough. There's an antibiotic cost 10.00 at Costco with no insurance.
I get this when i have a flu which involves coughing bouts, and also a few years back when I had Hooping Cough. i usually am sitting at the computer chair when it happens and begin coughing, and come to a few seconds late on the floor. As I am a heavy bloke, resulted in fractured ribs, internal bruising and bad carpet burn / lump  on my forehead. Last few times (about a week apart) it was aggravated by smoking whilst coming out of a flu. Stinking cigarettes...
My husband has had black outs and a seizure while coughing pretty hard. I think it is because he coughs with his mouth closed and lack of oxygen to the brain at that point causes it. I see a difference when he keeps his mouth closed.. his face turns red. I have tried to cough with my mouth closed and I feel like I am being suffocated. I don't see any answers here but input whether or not those of you who cough do it with open mouth or closed mouth. I know it is gross to cough with your mouth open, but more oxygen is inhaled through the mouth than through the nose, especially if your nose is running or stuffed.
I've hadt happen 3x. the 1st a years ago, I felt my stomach turn and started walking upstairs to the bathrom ad the the nextthingI nw m girl was screamng my name and cryin. Ended up with a concusion and felt weird for a few days. The 2nd time was a week ago and I was laughing and woke up to the wife sceaming at me again. 1st time she said I was out about 30-45 seconds, this time 2-3. The 3rd time was 1hr ago and a coughing fit caused it. Didn't actually passout but I felt thefeeling of it as my head felt ike it was gonna blow like a balloon. I am an athletic,healthy, 42yo male. Ist time I went to doctor he thought it was a stress attack(4kids and xmas was coming). I have an appointment tommorrow, I'll let evryone know what is said. good luckto all it is a very helpless and scary feelin.
It happened almost every day this week after a viral cough I got; I just tried to remove the "seems deep"phlegm flem out of my lungs but anyime I try ...black out. .... and picking my self from the floor with my forehead bleeding and my teeth almost bleeding too.
after reading in another website it's called "Cough Syncope"( it's not big deal the Dr. said) it happens when the blood from your body has not arrived back to the heart (working as a pump) and re-distribute it back in to the brain due to the high pressure in your chest blocking the blood  after coughing very deep.. after reading this, I try not to go that deep in my cough and take something to calm my cough down or any other pain relief to go to sleep softly and let the cough go ..i noticed it had been up to me to decide to go go that deep in my cough; I hope it help to control yourself and better try realy hard not to go that deep  or other wise..."passed out" .. I imagine after several "passed out" you can damage your brain seriously  I felt I almost die various time this week and come back.    very sad
Whooping Cough.....You just may have whooping cough. I have it now and will describe my experiences and research. Tell me how much of this sounds familiar. It started as a bad sinus infection in late October. A round of antibiotics got rid of the yellow-green flem but a wicked cough had developed. And after 2 weeks the doctor called in a tougher round of antibiotics. I had no fever, pain or other symptoms, but the cough! I tried to ignore it until the day I passed out from the coughing. Shortly after I threw up while coughing and aspirated it back in a failed attempt to catch a breath. Off to the doctor I went and he knew immediately that I had Pertussis (or whooping cough). He explained that you usually get it after another illness and their is NO TREATMENT. Again, no treatment. Cough medicines with suppressants-expectorants-codeine do nothing and may even make the cough worse. Antibiotics should be given early to help lessen the contagious part of this, but they do nothing to help you feel better or shorten the length of illness. The Chinese call this disease the 100 day cough because that is the AVERAGE time it lasts. By the time you even know you have it the bacteria have done their damage and you are left with a cough that happens every 20 minutes or maybe every 3 hours. Babies die from this disease and it becoming more common than people (even doctors) realize. It is on the rise across the U.S. Even if you have your Tdap shots you are only protected 70-80%. And these numbers go way down as the years pass. I have asthma so my version of this is the worst. I am exhausted and weakened. The blackouts I get have kept me from driving and the very sound of the cough freaks people out so I am in a bit of seclusion. My only trick for helping you at all it this.... when you are coughing so hard you lose oxygen, try and breath in only through your nose. It takes a bit of practice but this has helped me avoid that terrifying feeling of a locked airway. The number one diagnostic tool doctors use to get a proper diagnosis is when YOU tell them you have blacked out or thrown up while coughing. I really hope this helps.... Happy -cough- New -cough- Year! -cough-cough-cough
Oh please, stop listening to the medical establishment.  If you do, you are most likely to die.

First of all, taking their mostly ineffective antibiotics starts you on journey in which you immune system will steadily decline to function well.  Antibiotics KILL the good bacteria in your "gut", which is your immune system.  The more of these you take, the more that immune system will be compromised, thereby making any condition worse, not better.

I started with a cough in July after I had quit smoking.  I had no idea what it was, but it then progressed to my feeling awful almost all the time.  I didn't think too much of it at first, but as the cough continued, my son became concerned and we went to an urgent-care facility.  

They performed a chest x-ray and the PA (physician's assistant) said my lungs were clear.  She had thought it might be pneumonia, of COPD, or asthma or bronchitis--after that she had NO idea what it could be.

She gave me 3 prescriptions:  One an inhaler, another drug that was supposed to "suppress" the cough, which actually numbs your lungs and throat--great stuff huh?  Yea, one of the side affects of this drug:  DEATH.  The other prescription she gave me was for an antibiotic.  I threw all 3 prescriptions in the garbage and went home and started researching.

What I have found is I think it may be pleurisy, which used to be quite common "back in the day"; however, what I have discovered is that these young doctors (and PA;s) have absolutely NO idea what that is because it has to be diagnosed after lots of research, which they do NOT do.  They just lump everything into "COPD" and give you medicine for that.

So, what I have been doing:

1)  Lots of RAW (not liquid--the solid--unpasteurized honey (you can get it at Vitacost.com).  I got through 3 lbs of this every two weeks.

2)  I make up a concoction in my blender of about a 4-5 inch piece of peeled raw ginger, 1/2 raw onion, 1/2 grapefruit with the outside peel peeled off (with a potato peeler) leaving the white "pectin" on., about 6 cloves of peeled, raw garlic.  This stuff I put in my blender with water to fill up to the top, blend it well, then split it between two quart mason jars.  Then, I take some raw, shredded cabbage, fill the blender about half way up with that, more water to cover the cabbage and blend that.  I then split that between the two jars.  This stuff is amazing!  All these REAL foods are what your body needs to help heal it.  You can NOT heal with drugs.  I take 2 or 3 tablespoons of this every hour.

3)  I take both oil of oregano and colloidial silver in case it is some kind of infection.  Both of these are natural antibiotics and will not harm you, but I would suggest taking more probiotics to help your immune system.  They are always a good idea.

4)  I also make up turmeric, cayenne pepper, and curry powder capsules.  I buy these spices in bulk, and the blank capsules, from Vitacost also.  Cayenne is excellent for the heart, and I have read it can actually stop a heart attack in progress.  Don't know from experience, but I believe it is helping.  But both the turmeric and curry powder are great for inflammation.

5)  You also might try a product called Curamin which is made from Boswelia and turmeric.  Some people say it helps them with pain.  It didn't with me, when my chest gets "tight"--not pain---just tight.  I have resorted to an old fashioned pain reliever I get at Dollar Tree.  It is made with caffeine and aspirin.  This is the only thing that relieves the chest tightness.  I know it's not curing anything, but if I have to go out, this relieves the pain so I don't think about it all the time.

6)  Also, for the cough:  I have found nothing works for very long, but I'm also having trouble with my throat, (years of smoking)  so I bought the "generic" brand of Chloraseptic--the sore-throat spray from Dollar General and I find it works really well in stopping the cough and relieves the pain in my throat.  I just spray it down my throat and on my throat.

7)  Another thing I now use is an old fashioned mustard plaster.  I make this up and go to bed with it every night.  It can be quite messy, but I buy yards of cotton flannel from Hobby Lobby and cut it into strips for bandages.  This will really burn after you've had it on for a few minutes, but it is the best thing I have found to relieve the chest tightness, and I believe it is also working to actually CURE it.

And you MUST take lots of Vitamin C-at least 5,000 milligrams a day and also lots of Vitamin D3.  I also take Vitamin A and Vitamin E.  These are ALL essential vitamins your body MUST have and a good mineral supplement would be a good addition too.

My advice is to keep searching the internet, because just my one experience at a "medical-establishment" tells me they do NOT know anything.  And I don't believe for a minute that this is all "whooping cough".  Whooping cough has a very specific symptom--it is actually a "whoop, whoop" sound--very specific, but the medical establishment wants to get people to take more of their dangerous and deadly vaccines.  Whooping cough can ABSOLUTELY be cured, but NOT by the medical establishment.

Good luck to all of you.  In the 6 months that I have had this, I am finally seeing some improvement--improvement I don't believe I would have made if I had taken those deadly prescriptions that PA prescribed, in fact, I might be dead!

And please don't forget to pray.  God is always there to help you and guide you.  He guided me to ALL these natural remedies that are healing me.

i think when you have a coughing fit (like i sometimes do)...and you dont get to inhale thru it...the lack of oxygen to the brain makes this happen...its really scary..i go thru it too
I looked into this recently after a year of cough getting slowly worse.
It may well be the Vagus nerve -and some research last year [King's College, I think] showed Gabapentin, an epileptic drug helped in two trial cases.
I managed to get this off label from Practice Head and next day picked up the med.  3x100mg/day but I usually take 2, 12 hours apart- as I'm not epileptic and this lower dose usually does OK.
Didn't even have to see him -as treated by 3 other meds from GP without much joy..
I have flu so -maybe need to up the dose as blackouts are getting worrying now.
Probably a virus with other factors complicating the issue. Mine seems to involve the Vagus nerve but that's not all the story. When it gets hypersensitized it adds to cough or allergy reactions and slowly builds up a cycle of spasmodic cough. Nasty.
   I have had a bad cough for two months . I cough until I almost blackout . what could be causing this?. I don't have a cold.
Hello, I also have sleep apnea and use my machine every night. I cough like made with flem, drives me nuts. I passed out today in the doorway of my office and have done this before. scary~ I have been having a hard time breathing and think I also have ashma~ I have tried cough syrup and it will help a little, but not much~ I think it also could be allergys in the air as I have this more in spring and summer, not in Fall or Winter~
This happened to me a couple of times blackout cough  it starts with a very dry throat feeling than occurs . I bought a chloraseptic sore throat spray at the pharmacy over the counter it helps numb the throat and I use it at the first symptom of a choking spell and this has helped me .  
Over the last 2 weeks, my father  have had 5 attacks of blacking out after extreme coughing. These blackouts last for just seconds and seem to be increasing in
frequency.  
Admitted in hospital for 5 days, doctors did all the testings- till ct scan  but they did not find anything.
still its the same condition.

I checked you also got that problem?
please help
Did they do a throat swab ??? Could be Whooping Cough

frequency.  
still its the same condition.

I checked you also got that problem?
please help and mail at ***@****

frequency.  
still its the same condition.

I checked you also got that problem?
please help and mail at ***@****
Over the last 2 weeks, my father  have had 5 attacks of blacking out after coughing. These blackouts last for just seconds( 20 secs)
and seem to be increasing in frequency.  sometimes vommiting also.
Admitted in hospital for 5 days, doctors did all the testings till ct scan  but they did not find anything.
still its the same condition.

I checked you also got that problem?
please help and mail at ***@****
still its the same condition.

I checked you also got that problem?
please help and mail at ***@****
Thanks to everyone posting this!  I too blacked-out last night during severe coughing episode...and then again this morning.  The first time I fell and hit my head and got a black eye.  Searching www found this page with all your comments.  Apparently it's not uncommon:
Cough syncope is a well-known entity which results in loss of consciousness during episodes of cough. It commonly occurs in patients with severe chronic obstructive lung disease (COPD) and asthma.
i dealt and i am still dealing with the same thing. The dr told me that I had acid reflux and that was causing me to black out because when the acid comes back up it causes the wind pipe to close/contract causing black outs becuase you cant breathe. The nexium helps but it takes almost a week to get full relief. That is what helps me every case is different
I have had a cough for 25 years and believe me it has been hell and I have lost jobs relationships embarrass my family first I realize that the cough is on one side of my throatknow that sounds crazy but pay attention to your cough do you cough more when you may on one side them the other I am telling what works for me I take singular and claritin together and I think some people me included make too much phlegm I know that sounds disgusting but you need to bring up as much as possible the best of luck to all also I have fainted twice  
I have blacked out twice in the last week and last night I was in the Mayo Clinic (the best health care facility in the world) emergency room.  My passing out is related to coughing and I was diagnosed with whooping cough.  The passing out is a condition with the name "Syncope". Research this for more detailed information.  It describes my condition, and many in this thread, perfectly.
Feel bad alot of people suffer from this and no doctor can find a solution...my husband had same problem but what i did is i made a hot powder drink ginger with lime and better drink this when the cough wont stop..it helps kill the itcheness on ur throat..and have zyrtic before bedtime..
Unfortunately, I have suffered from this also. I just wrecked my truck after passing out from a coughing fit and hit a tree.
The same exact thing happened to me this week. And most people have never heard of this which makes it difficult to explain what happened.  During the pause where most people catch their breath, I was already coughing again.  There is no time to react.  I've only had the passing out from coughing happen to me three times in my life, always during or after a cold and only this time behind the wheel.  Thankfully, it was only me in the vehicle and I didn't strike any vehicles or people.  It is very scary to come to with powder from the airbags looking like smoke.  My truck flipped up on its side also, so that increased the disorientation.  
I found this website while desperate for i too have a similar problem.   I do not pass out but have the cough that causes me to have breathing problems.  Last nite i had 2 coughing attacks before going to bed.  Scared to going to bed because i knew this would continue thru the nite,  I was asleep and woke up to severe coughing and difficulty breathing.  I have an inhaler but did not want to use it. I got up after the coughing stopped and rinsed my mouth and took a couple of sips of water and went back to bed.   When i went back to bed i decided to start breathing exercises.   I inhaled deeply causing my abdomen to rise then slowly releasing the breath  I fell asleep and woke up several times and no coughing spells so every time i was semi-awake i did the exercises and to my surprise its been about 4 to five hours and since i started breathing exercises not one coughing spell.
I have suffered with these symptoms for many years. I can tell you that drinking, smoking and lack of exercise WILL ascorbate this problem, but are not necessary to cause it. I have C.O.P.D.,  which used to be called C.O.L.D. and before that plain old asthma. But after many tests my symptoms persisted due to being an overweight smoker.
Once you have an attack (coughing fit) of coughing and are unable to breathe you will feel a vibrating buzz in your body, you will by reflex lay or stretch backwards, and unless you can mentally tell yourself to relax and breathe you will black out. My wife tells me it is a period of 2seconds to 3 minutes, but once I am non compus I start to breathe in shallow breaths and can quite easily be awoken with gentle speech.
We have visited doctors many times with no honest, simple remedy. Good luck and I hope you can share a solution.
I have something similar from inhaling dance hall dust- very fine as ground down by Saraha dust coming over and very abrasive.
It's probaly related to the VAGUS nerve which is a very old nervous system pathway in out bodies from the head to the gut.
TEST: If you put an ear bud in one ear it may trigger a cough. It is very paroxal and disturbing.
Gabapentin may help- but it is a strongish med used usually for epilepsy and acts as a desensitiser- and also I found anti anxiety, too.
I prefer not to use it long term though but it's there if needed.
Reflux supression meds may help at night if that is irritating from the oesophegus end causing morning cough.
I hope this helps a few sufferers anyway -but you need your GP to issue these meds.
My Xray was clear and lung test very good. Inhalers don't help me much.
Check the Vagus connection. Look it up online too.
I am suffering from the same problem for last 15 days. I faint 2-3 times everyday due to cough hard. The doctors do not understand the problem and have prescribed me cough syrup and anti-biotic medicine.
Here's my issue: I don't have to be coughing hard or having a massive coughing fit at all.  Literally 2 coughs and I have that "on the edge of a blackout" feeling much as it would be if someone were squeezing your throat and you get that fuzzy feeling.  It scares the crap out of me!  I do have asthma but not even an asthma attack has left me feeling like this.  I hate it.