Respiratory Disorders Community
Hard coughing causes blackout/passingout

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

I have had a cough now for about 3 weeks. It started off very mild but 2 weeks ago got more serious. I was sitting down and started to cough really hard and the next thing i knew i was picking myself up off the floor. I had passed out. I went to the emergency room and they told me i had bronchitis and that i had passed out from  agitating that nerve in the back of my neck, at least thats what they think and didnt seem to worried about it. I have a couple of prescriptions for coughing ect but they are not working very well and i have since had 2 more hard coughing episodes where i blacked out if not all the way passed out.
What i want to know is does this sound normal for bronchitis or hard coughing? Should i be worried more? Can passing out or blacking out cause any damage from repeted episodes?
What else can i do?
Similar thing happens to me (except I almost pass out, but not completely). Does anyone have any ideas? Is this a bad thing? My doctor seems to think it's no big deal... :/
Just to add, this happens both when I cough, and when I laugh too hard. Once, I almost went off the road because a friend made me laugh (went dizzy for a few seconds).
Happened to me last night pretty scary passed out twice called the ambulance took me to the hospital doctor said it was a textbook case but wnt to know is it a permanent condition. Anything that i can do to prevent it from jappening again
look into whooping cough.  It seems to be more of a problem in adults than most doctors think.
My hard coughing caused blackout this morning resulted in a severe cut to  my forehead from striking the night stand by my bed as I went down.  Nice black eye as well....
My father had this happen a couple of times a few years ago and doctors found nothing.  It is the sacriest thing to witness and go through.  All of a sudden, it happened again yesterday.  Does anyone have any advice?
Black outs been  Happening to my husband for the last 2 week - his been couging for the last 2 months - it looks like no one knows - been to three doctors all say the same - been to Hospital now they whany to ssend him to a Specialist - but if i see all these mess of the coughing i think it will be a waist of money and time - and we do not have a Med.
Had two blackouts this week, they begin with a cough, wife experienced one, she said that I had my hands contracted, and my head rolled back, then, I came to, she said it lasted about 15 seconds, really concerned, other symtoms (symptoms) are lack of sleep, and chronich body aches,
email me at ***@**** please
i have been having the same issues for 5 weeks and have blacked out three times and just this morning had a small seizure in front of my kids when i came to i felt my body still shaking  
as soon as i start coughing for a short period of time and or laugh hard it sends me into a coughing fit and i black out
hospital has said my vitals are fine and send me on my way
they dont go any further than that
one hospital said it could be my uvula that is long causing me to cough but they dont know why im blacking out  
they have pushed me off about 5 times now and the condition is getting worse
i hope that you have recovered and if you did please let me know what i need to do
I have been doing the same thing off and on for about 2 months. I get better and then next thing I know I'm coughing so hard I blackout and feel as though I am having a slight siezure. Scares the tar out of me but unfortunatleyI have no insurance right now and can't afford to go to the doctor. A year ago I had pnuemonia (pneumonia) and was hospitalized for a week. Good luck to you all on getting answers to help you feel better.
Had this very same dry phloem cough going on for the last month and a half. snuck right up on me. started when i was smoking a few times and sucked down a bubble of spit at the same time I was in haling smoke. I do not believe it is a smoking related issue as to the fact i have been smoking for only 6 years. I never had chest or bronchial problems until 98 and worked in a job that I believe now caused "labor induced Asthma"  Before I even started smoking  I had coughed up to the point of almost passing out, and one time I was smoking something else, coughed afterwards and ended up passing out and dropping the receptacle. But anyway, this comes and goes over the years. I just had gotten over by July of 2011, last year, and it tarted up again this year in july. I have already had a minor episodes of coughing or laughing until I  pass out for a few seconds being some place safe. But last night i was on a road trip riding along with someone else and stopped for a pit stop, walking into the mens room and found myself coughing on the way in and picking myself up off the mens room floor. I hope some one out there has an answer for what this is and how to beat it and make it go away faster.
I have had a bad cough for a month now .Have taken 3 different antibiotics and am still coughing . Problem is when I cough I pass out  about 50% of the time.Can last up to 20 sec. but seems a lot longer. It always is accompamied with vivid dreams.I have been to my doc and to the ER. Told me it is overstimulation of the vagus nerve which decreases blood flow to the brain. Ive been on high doses of prednisone inhalers and cough medicine but nothing has worked. I have fallen several times and cut my head open. Time to see a specialist. Now I have difficulty getting my breath after coughing my throat closes off the air.Really scarey..
I was taking Lexapro.  The doctor upped my dosage from 5 mg to 10 mg and coughing until I passed out happened to me twice.  I quit taking it and it quit happening.  Is it possible your father had a reaction like this to some medication?
I had a bad cough when I was driveing I blacked out and wrecked my car luckly I did not hit anyone it scared me bad went to doc and got lots of med
Hey everyone, I was looking up why this happens to me as well. Though I don't fully blackout, things certainly do go dim and near blackout. I've been dealing with this for a few years now. I wonder how many of you have had some sort of oral surgery. I didn't start having this problem until I developed esophogial bleeding one morning and had to have an emergency throat cauterization to stop the bleeding. Within weeks of healing the black out coughing started. I also have severe sleep apnea and don't know if this might be a contributing factor. I've gone to an ear nose ans throat doctors and he told me that throat irritation can sometimes trigger and overly sensitive vagus nerve. Typically he said its non life threatening other than if it were to cause an accident of some kind, the blacking out in and of itself isn't dangerous. He seemed very blahze about it actually, I've learned to always keep sucking candy or water  nearby if I'm driving or something else hazardous to prevent coughing too hard and passing out at the wheel. Btw I am not a smoker other than a very very rare cigar.
I too have been having this happen for years now, it also occurs for me when I smell a strong order or smell.  After many doctors and research we found it's not only bronchitis but my vocal chords are scared and damaged.  This might be something to look at.
Just passed out for the first time tonite in front of my GF. It was euphoric. I was trying to say something while she was running to turn me over to find a beet red face and not breathing. She rolled me over and yelled "I'm calling 911 !!" and then she said I jumped right up like nothing happened and had a 72 beats per minute heart rate. I, as well, have no insurance and am just getting by.
Now... I acquired this cough with clear jelly like phlegm with a white streak or line in it. 103-104 degree temps for 13 straight days and now 99-100 for the last 3 days. I sleep 1-2 hours per night as I can't lay down because the phlegm fills my airway within 1-2 minutes... for the first 2 1/2 weeks. Last 2 nites I slept 4-5 hours, waking to violent coughing up this jelly. Then my throat is closed... and of course I need to take in oxygen and cannot. I've learned to squeeze my neck and be extremely patient and take in enough air to plug my nose and blow hard while holding my breath to push open the wind pipe. Cold liquids intensify the phlegm... I've been drinking lots of water to be healthy and now I am hindered by it. Hot coffee or tea is comfortable but still works up the jelly... just not as bad.
The Dr said my lungs were clear and no sore throat. No pneumonia or bronchitis. Just a viral infection... so no antibiotics. Until I went in and asked for an AB, and received Bactrum. The 2nd day I started to feel better to a point. The coughing and jelly... not being able to breath, is getting very old. I am 52 and very healthy and take vitamins and eat well...
NOW!!! Does anyone have any idea what the F this is? I want my life back !!!!!!      

Thank You for listening...
I get this when i have a flu which involves coughing bouts, and also a few years back when I had Hooping Cough. i usually am sitting at the computer chair when it happens and begin coughing, and come to a few seconds late on the floor. As I am a heavy bloke, resulted in fractured ribs, internal bruising and bad carpet burn / lump  on my forehead. Last few times (about a week apart) it was aggravated by smoking whilst coming out of a flu. Stinking cigarettes...
My husband has had black outs and a seizure while coughing pretty hard. I think it is because he coughs with his mouth closed and lack of oxygen to the brain at that point causes it. I see a difference when he keeps his mouth closed.. his face turns red. I have tried to cough with my mouth closed and I feel like I am being suffocated. I don't see any answers here but input whether or not those of you who cough do it with open mouth or closed mouth. I know it is gross to cough with your mouth open, but more oxygen is inhaled through the mouth than through the nose, especially if your nose is running or stuffed.
I've hadt happen 3x. the 1st a years ago, I felt my stomach turn and started walking upstairs to the bathrom ad the the nextthingI nw m girl was screamng my name and cryin. Ended up with a concusion and felt weird for a few days. The 2nd time was a week ago and I was laughing and woke up to the wife sceaming at me again. 1st time she said I was out about 30-45 seconds, this time 2-3. The 3rd time was 1hr ago and a coughing fit caused it. Didn't actually passout but I felt thefeeling of it as my head felt ike it was gonna blow like a balloon. I am an athletic,healthy, 42yo male. Ist time I went to doctor he thought it was a stress attack(4kids and xmas was coming). I have an appointment tommorrow, I'll let evryone know what is said. good luckto all it is a very helpless and scary feelin.
It happened almost every day this week after a viral cough I got; I just tried to remove the "seems deep"phlegm flem (phlegm) out of my lungs but anyime I try ...black out. .... and picking my self from the floor with my forehead bleeding and my teeth almost bleeding too.
after reading in another website it's called "Cough Syncope"( it's not big deal the Dr. said) it happens when the blood from your body has not arrived back to the heart (working as a pump) and re-distribute it back in to the brain due to the high pressure in your chest blocking the blood  after coughing very deep.. after reading this, I try not to go that deep in my cough and take something to calm my cough down or any other pain relief to go to sleep softly and let the cough go ..i noticed it had been up to me to decide to go go that deep in my cough; I hope it help to control yourself and better try realy hard not to go that deep  or other wise..."passed out" .. I imagine after several "passed out" you can damage your brain seriously  I felt I almost die various time this week and come back.    very sad