Respiratory Disorders Community
Help - Can't Sleeop -Hard to breathe/throat feels swollen

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

For the last 3 weks I have had difficulty breathing.   I spent 5 days in the hospital and lung and heart tests were clear (EKG, stress test, Chest x-ray, nuclear med. lung scan, Cat scan-lung, pulse ox was also ok) however my white count was high and I have a pre-existing GERD condition, and the ENT did see some burns on the vocal chord from the GERD. I was on antibiotics (azithomyacin and levaquin) for 2 weeks. I also had a TB test done which was negative. I also went to an allergist and he put me on Advair, Claritin and albuterol inhalers.   I have also added prilosec in the am along with Prevacid I have been taking in the PM for the last 4 years for the GERD.

I never had any problems breathing before 2 months ago when I had phemonia and bronchitis (which I was given azithromiacin for).   It seemed to get better except at night I had a slight tickle in the throat.   Then 3 weeks ago, I woke up and could hardly breathe, so I went to ER and the above hospital stay.  During the stay I was also getting nebulizer treatments every 4 - 6 hours.

During the day, when I am up and around, it usually reverts to some slight shortness of breath and slight pressure in the right lung and a tickle/some pressure in the throat).   At night,when I first lay down, I have a little shortness of breath but can get to sleep.   After about 2-3 hours I suddenly can't breathe and my right lung aches badly, so it wakes me up.  I feel like the throat may be constricting also.  I have to take an inhaler and stay up for about an hour before I can lay back down, but it continues to get worse all night so I can't really sleep well for the rest of the night and have to keep getting up.  By AM, the pain is really bad in the right lung/chest, so I have to get up.    I have tried sleeping propped up also, and it still happens, although I may get an extra hour or so before it wakes me up.

Any ideas on how to pursue this, or what it may be?   I have seen a few Doctors and nothing is helping so far. I'm not sure where to go at this point?