Respiratory Disorders Community
In desperate need of help!!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

In desperate need of help!!!!

My brother is 18 years old and he has been suffering with chronic upper respiratory problems with high fever for the past nine years.  He has been to Infectious Disease specialists, Allergists, Immunologists, Endocrinologist and Otolaryngologists. He was hospitalized twice and no one there, nor one of many specialists he has been to can figure out what is causing such frequent infections with high fever, because for whatever they test his blood is normal. The Chinese herbal medicine that he drank for over a year and the accupuncture did not help his upper respiratory and immune problems, it did help his infectious gastritis.  In 2004 he had his tonsils removed and in 2008 he had surgery on his sinuses and straighted his septum.
Through out the years he was often administered heavy dosages of antibiotics that over time have destroyed his immune system .  These last four years have been by far his worst.  He constantly gets throat, sinus, or ear infections that cause him to burn with a fever between 101.5 and 103°F. The high fever holds for about eight to twelve days, then sharply drops to around 94.1 to 95°F and remains there for another two to four days before going back to normal.  He is usually well for several days, and the cycle repeats.  Now that his immune system has been compromised, neither antibiotics nor over the counter medications help reduce his fever or relieve his symptoms. In January of 2008 he received 2 immune boosting shots which were suppose to help and according to the doctor his immune levels are at normal, but he keeps getting infections as before, when I speak to him he advises to avoid people that are sick like that can be possible.  

Though his condition is thankfully not terminal, he is sick 95% of the time.  Consequently, he cannot live a normal life or receive an education.  His sickness has robbed him of both his childhood and his teenage years.  Each time he is healthy for those few days, he develops new hope that perhaps his life will be restored to normal.  That hope quickly disappears as he catches another infection.  He developed insomnia, he did a sleep study last year and does not have sleep apnea, so i think its stress related. It has been nine years of never ending cycle, he lost all hope and believes that he can not be helped, it's hard to convince him that one day we will find what causes him to be sick and he can have a normal life.  

At this point I just have no idea what the next move should be.  If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.