Respiratory Disorders Community
Interstitial markings bilaterally

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Interstitial markings bilaterally

my baby who is 14 months old with cronic (chronic) cough and breathing problems had a chest xray and the report said that there is mild prominence of the interstitial markings bilaterally. could someone please explain what this could mean.  the babys doctor has not returned my call and i have been calling everyday for 3 days now.  this was done at a free chc.  

thank you
Tags: Baby, cough, ashma
Hi, don't worry. The prominent interstitial markings in the chest X-ray only suggests that the airway and lung vessel markings, which are normally seen, are more prominent. In small children the most common cause for there prominence is bronchitis or bronchiolitis. In these conditions, there is narrowing of airways with increased secretions within airways, which could lead to difficulty in breathing. Nebulization with Steroids and brochdilators usually help. If there is fever, a course of antibiotic can also be prescribed by the doctor.