Involuntary Gasping for Air
I am a nineteen year old Caucasian female.  I am of normal height (5'6") and normal weight (122).  I am not at all athletic, but I like to think of myself as, basically, in shape.  I am a nonsmoker.  Aside from my seemingly normal physical condition, a couple days ago I started randomly gasping for air.  This has continued and is still continuing to happen.  I have not been partaking in any more physical activity than normal, and I really have no idea what could have triggered this.  It happens, arbitrarily, about every 2-5 minutes.  It is a sudden, deep breath and feels the same as if I was gasping out of shock or while laughing or prior to going under water.  Could anybody, perhaps tell me why this could be happening?  I'm not immensely concerned, I would just like to be informed.
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your symptoms could be due to Asthma. It could also be attributed to Chronic Hyperventilation Syndrome. It is characterized by hyperventilation for no apparent reason, frequent yawning, palpitations, dizziness, sweating, fainting, depression, and cold sweats. Please consult your primary care physician for assessment. In the meantime you could practice breathing exercises and good relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.