Respiratory Disorders Community
Lung Infection and Low Oxygen Levels

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Lung Infection and Low Oxygen Levels

On the 16th of September this all started with a slight scratching in the throat. I would not imagine this would turn into something so awful.

It went to what I thought was a persistent cold then into, again, what I thought was bronchitis. On the 21st I was admitted to the emergency room and given steroids, antibiotics, and an inhaler to help lesson my symptoms.

They didn't go away. While the upper congestion completely disappeared, now I can't walk more than a few feet without feeling like I'm going to collapse from lack of oxygen. Unless I'm sitting, I wheeze constantly. The aching has worsened, and the pain is sometimes awful.

I saw the doctor yesterday and she determined that it was a lung infection, not bronchitis. She prescribed me another inhaler, but she didn't specify what kind of infection I have. I don't feel any more improved. In fact, feel worse than ever. She says it will take a full month for the symptoms to go away, and since I work at a second hand store warehouse, where there is a LOT of filthy stuff in the air, and I'm required to do a lot of very hard labor, I don't see myself going back to work any time soon. I suspect I got sick from that job though.

My question is, what are the exact symptoms of low oxygen levels? So far I've been having random bouts of extreme pain in my left leg. I've also been very disorientated driving, which is a little surprising since I'm not walking, and thus not exerting much energy. I assume that it's not safe to drive for the time being. Could I have some advice from those who've been this sick before?

The doctor says I don't need antibiotics since I was just on them and I need to tough it out, but it still feels like I'm really hurting down there. Do I need a second opinion? Help!