Respiratory Disorders Community
Painful dried blood in nose.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Painful dried blood in nose.

I have been noticing dried blood inside my nostrils that is clumped and painful. It is mainly in my left nostril. I can feel it, but cannot remove it due to it being painful. I can feel something small and sort of sharp protruding from the inside of my left nostril, and it is also painful. The dried blood "clumps" that mainly form on the floor of my nose I can sometimes remove if they are moistened, otherwise they are too painful. The odd thing, is I have been noticing some dried blood around the nostrils of my cat too. I really would like some answers. Thank you.

I do have a history of sinus surgery and repairing a deviated septum back in December 2001. No problems until now. I also was diagnosed with sleep apnea and have been sleeping with a bi-pap machine since July 2006.

This discussion is related to dried blood in nose.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Nasal dryness could be due to the Bi PAP machine. A humidifier may help. Your symptoms could also be due to a nasal polyp or infection. When the crusts are removed do you see a ‘weepy’ surface, then the cause is most probably infection. Practice good ‘nasal hygiene’, i.e avoid using finger tips to remove the crusts, as they harbor infection causing bacteria. The nose ulcers described could also be due to blowing too much or if the air is too dry. Try using an OTC saline spray. Avoid blowing your nose too hard till the sores heal and use a soft Kleenex. If you don’t already have one get a humidifier for your bedroom.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.