Respiratory Disorders Community
Pneumonia recovery time

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Pneumonia recovery time

My husband wad diagnosed with streptaccous pneumonia on 10/17 and was in the hospital until 10/26.  He is 26 yrs old, healthy, never sick good weight eats good but does(did) smoke.  He almost died from this he went in to the ER on 10/13 with symptoms but they said he just had a virus go home he was fine.  We came in every night until teh 16th we went to another ER and they diagnsed him with pneumonia and had him admitted to the Hospital.  While waiting in the ER to be admitted he almost quit breathing and he was too weak to tell anyone and they were too busy to notice.  They wouldn't let me back with him because they had him laying in a hallway. I kept yelling that I needed to get back there and ake sure he was OK thank god I did because he was in and out of it hardly breathing and I started yelling at the nurses because they wouldn't take care of him.  Very stressfull.  Thankgod the treament he got upstairs was totally different. He had strep in both lungs 3/6 lobes. he has been on levaquin and vicodin. He got off the oxygen on 10/25. We have read online that recovery takes at least a few months but his doctor wrote on his short term disability papers that he could go back on 10/30. He can walk but if he tries to do anything he starts coughing and can't breathe.  He tried to put some clothes in the dresser drawer and felt like he was going to pass out.  How long does recovery take?  How do tehy expect him to go back to work so soon??