Respiratory Disorders Community
Quit smoking do lungs completely heal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

I agree with EVERYTHING the National Jewish Hospital Nurse said to you!

Definitely see an expert doc (or docs) about your symptoms!

If you can't go to National Jewish Hospital, call their toll free LUNG LINE at 1-800-222-LUNG (5864), and ask the LUNG LINE nurse which docs were trained at Nat'l Jewish Hospital, and are currently in YOUR AREA!!!

My husband and I were each diagnosed at Nat'l Jewish Hospital, as having VCD (Vocal Cord Dysfunction). Nat'l Jewish Hospital knows the most about VCD. VCD is often MISDIAGANOSED as being asthma, anaphylaxis (severe allergy causing swelling in throat area, can be fatal if untreated), and hysteria.

People can have VCD and OTHER CONDITIONS at the same time. That's why you do need to get medically checked, so you can correct all your medical problems.

Gastric reflux, sinus conditions, indoor air pollution, neck muscle tension, sleep apnea, and MANY other factors can cause or trigger VCD attacks.

Many VCD patients feel the "breathing through a straw" symptom, but there are other possible symptoms as well.

Make those doctor appointments now, and also, take a look at my website called "Can't Breathe? Suspect Vocal Cord Dysfunction!" Here's a link to the home page. It may give you some food for thought.

http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com

I link to the National Jewish Hospital website, and to other useful sites. I include References (medical journal articles, books, etc.)

I hope you feel better soon!

Sincerely, Carol

***@****     or  ***@****

By the way, my nickname "Wondering about symptoms" should be changed to " Now fixing up my bad computer & driving ergonomics, to prevent Thoracic Outlet Syndrome"
Hey Mikey I can tell you it is scary to wake up  trying to gasp for air. I live in Canada and had the same stmptons for about five years. I went to a few Dr's and they kept saying it was my asthma. Finally after talking to a pharmasist at the drug store he suggested I raise the head of my bed up about 8" and I had the best sleep in days or weeks.I went back to my doctor and told him and he said I now have Reflux a type of acid coming up while I sleep. Hopfully this will help.

Quit smoking do lungs completely heal

I quit smoking one year and seven months ago. I smoked a pack a day for 22 years. I now exercise regularly. Will my lungs heal completely, if so how long?
amberegg,

What is wrong with your lungs when you say "will they heal"? My husband smoked 4 packs a day for 40 yrs and three yrs ago they found a very small benign nodule in his lung.  He had to have follow up CT scans every 6 months until this year and he is in the clear now.  This cancer scare caused him to finally stop smoking.
so then what is a bilateral parihilar calcified nodule? possibly cancer?
Yes, almost.  In about 8 years if you have no problems with your lungs, after 8 years your lungs almost completly heal to the point as if you almost never smoked.  Don't think about this to much, you will frive yourself crazy and your brain is looking for the first excuse to go back to smoking.  Good job and keep it up.
I quit smoking 15 days ago after smoking for 30 years up to 2 packs a day. It's been really hard putting up with the symptoms I experienced but seem to be easing up but I have very little to no desire to go back to smoking again. The idea of smoking again scares me. Shortness of breath is no fun and scary. Still breathing but sometimes it feels like I need to take a deep breath yet I can't get one! I do know how to keep myself from hyperventelating though.
I am pretty sure that the shortness of breath issue will subside as time goes by without smoking.
I was in the hospital for a few days to get some tests done that may be related to my smoking habbit and have yet to receive the results except for an MRI which the doc's said came out normal. That's good news at least. I am having eyesight problems that were possibly related to too much pressure on the back of my eyes. I think all my problems are caused by smoking heavily for years.
I am now an X smoker and will remain that way from now on!
Scott